Motherboards with ISA slots and P-4 Prescott compatibility?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

The Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA and the Supermicro P4SCA have been around
for a couple of years and both have 3 ISA slots:

http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/E7210/P4SCA.cfm

Problem is, it's practically impossible to get a reliable supply of
Socket 478 northwood version Pentium's, and it's getting impossible to
get a reliable supply of Celeron's (because even though Intel still
seems to be making northwood versions of Celerons, nobody wants to
stock them).

So I'm wondering if either Soyo or Supermicro (or anyone else) is
planning a Prescott-compatible motherboard with ISA slots (at least
1). Either socket 478 or 775.

(and don't say that ISA is dead because although it is and has been
for the consumer channel for years it is not yet dead for some
industrial / commercial applications).

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

In the commercial marketplace, ISA motherboards are dead. So the answer to
your question is, No, there will NOT be any manufacturer producing Prescott
capable motherboards with ISA slots.

--
DaveW

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:23:16 -0400, Some Guy <Some@Guy.com> wrote:

>The Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA and the Supermicro P4SCA have been around
>for a couple of years and both have 3 ISA slots:
>
>http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194
>http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/E7210/P4SCA.cfm
>
>Problem is, it's practically impossible to get a reliable supply of
>Socket 478 northwood version Pentium's, and it's getting impossible to
>get a reliable supply of Celeron's (because even though Intel still
>seems to be making northwood versions of Celerons, nobody wants to
>stock them).
>
>So I'm wondering if either Soyo or Supermicro (or anyone else) is
>planning a Prescott-compatible motherboard with ISA slots (at least
>1). Either socket 478 or 775.
>
>(and don't say that ISA is dead because although it is and has been
>for the consumer channel for years it is not yet dead for some
>industrial / commercial applications).
I think the key is in your last staement, "some industrial/commercial
applications", that means that the money is NOT where you are any
more! Unless enough money can be made NOTHING will be done about your
ISA issues.

f/fgeorge wrote:

> > and don't say that ISA is dead because ...

> I think the key is in your last staement, "some industrial
> /commercial applications", that means that the money is NOT
> where you are any more! Unless enough money can be made
> NOTHING will be done about your ISA issues.

I thought the same thing too in 2001 and 2002.

Then Soyo introduces the P4I845PEISA with 3 ISA slots in 2003.

There are still plenty of suppliers of ISA backplanes and PCI-ISA
interfaces.

I haven't checked, but I bet American Preditor is still making P4
motherboards with ISA slots (but they've always been $$$).

wrote:

>The Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA and the Supermicro P4SCA have been around
>for a couple of years and both have 3 ISA slots:
>
>http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194
>http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/E7210/P4SCA.cfm
>
>Problem is, it's practically impossible to get a reliable supply of
>Socket 478 northwood version Pentium's, and it's getting impossible to
>get a reliable supply of Celeron's (because even though Intel still
>seems to be making northwood versions of Celerons, nobody wants to
>stock them).

How is that a problem?
There is a gun to your head and you die if you don't have a
next-gen P4 platform for ISA cards? Seems doubtful.

There is a concept known as "lifetime buy". That means
_now_, you buy all the parts you need for the lifetime of
the application. Concepts such as "impossible to get" are
nonsense though when it comes to a Northwood (if you're not
picky about the exact model)- you do it like anybody else
would, which is to search, find, then buy.
http://www.google.com/froogle?q=Northwood+P4&sa=N&start=20

>So I'm wondering if either Soyo or Supermicro (or anyone else) is
>planning a Prescott-compatible motherboard with ISA slots (at least
>1). Either socket 478 or 775.

What is the application of the system?
I find it questionable that you need a modern PC or
cheap-server class board for typical uses of an ISA card.
On the contrary, it'd be an expensive waste of power, noise,
etc to go so overboard with most ISA-based tasks.

>(and don't say that ISA is dead because although it is and has been
>for the consumer channel for years it is not yet dead for some
>industrial / commercial applications).

.... then buy an industrial board, not a PC/cheap-server
board. If you're (Presumably) already using these ISA
boards with older ISA-featured motherboards, just leave them
alone. If/when the time comes, you'll just need to switch
to PCI alternatives like everybody else. I'm not implying
there might necessarily be some exact-equivalent of your ISA
cards in PCI form, rather that there's likely a way to still
get the job(s) done without ISA.

guido

Distinguished
May 7, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

ISA is DEAD !!!