Motorola Announces $150 Second-Gen Moto E, Rocks Snapdragon 410 And 4G LTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Unfortunately, although the phone has 4G capabilities, it only supports 4G LTE. In most of the world this won't be much of an issue, but it could be a problem in Korea and China where other LTE standards are sometimes used.
I may mistaken here, but I'm fairly certain LTE *is* the standard. I know there are other "4G" technologies, such as HSPA+ and WiMAX, but I haven't heard of the "other LTE" standards before.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
"Other features include two 5 MP cameras, 1 GB RAM and 8 GB of storage, with a micro SD card for expansion up to 32 GB."

So what they are saying is, here is an updated processor but we will give you RAM and storage options from 3 years ago. For instance my current Android phone from 2012 basically the same specs WITH FLASH!.

The problem these 8GB phones face is app storage. Once they partition the storage users most likely end up with 4GB for app storage which is a joke because its literally 1GB for apps and 3GB for other. Then 4GB for phone storage which goes to waste since most users will store their stuff on the external SD card......

Fishwithadeagle

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
So can someone please tell me why someone should chose this over the older moto g, since they are roughly the same price. It seems as though the old one would be more powerful, and it has the addition of a better camera, along with a better gpu and build quality. It just seems to me that it would be better to buy the old phone, especially since it has a higher resolution screen.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

The simple answer would be android OS upgrade support. For instance every android phone ive owned only received 1 OS update before it was swept under the rug into the forgotten pile.

My first phone came with Donut, after the company released Eclair 18 months into its life cycle, 6 more months and it was a 2 year outdated device.

My second phone came with Ice-cream Sandwich, after the company released JellyBean 12 months into its life cycle, 6 more months and it was an outdated device and Kit-Kat was rolling out on new devices.

Now my phone can more than handle Kit-Kat and Lollipop but now its 2 year old device and how it seem sin phone history a phone life is 18 months then they stop support it.

So while the older Moto G came with Kit-Kat and can be upgraded to Lollipop that may be the end of its life officially and the new one comes with Lollipop and will see and official upgrade to the next android name weather its Mango, Mellon, Marshmallow or some dumba** name.......

For the reasons to go with the new 2nd Gen Moto E, vs. the older 2nd Gen Moto E or the 1st Gen Moto E has a lot to do with hardware and software.

When writing this Motorola sent us a document detailing the features of these phones. Both the 1st and 2nd Gen Moto E use a Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 SoC, using ARMv7 Cortex-A7 CPU cores, while the new Moto E uses Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 SoC. The Snapdragon 410 uses ARMv8 Cortex-A53 cores, which means it not only consumes less power but also has increased performance compared to the older Cortex-A7.

The GPU follows a similar path as the CPU. The CPU then also adds 64-bit support, Android Lollipop, special Motorola software features, and LTE support that make it more tempting.

So it has a number of advancements over the old design.

Status
Not open for further replies.