Question Motorola Moca Adapters or Really Any Moca Adapters Question for Setup

Kevin Authenthic

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
As I understand Moca adapters are suppose to transmit coaxial cables into highspeed internet which makes sense right.
But my question becomes I see some people who still keep there modems but I thought Moca replaces the need for this or am I just confused?
I have uploaded a photo of someone using the MOCA adapter but to me it does not make sense to keep a Modem if you already are converting your coaxial connection to internet.
Now this is a more of another question but random geared towards the moca
  1. Imagine having two floors in your home which is common or whatever.
  2. I have my 1st floor which I need to have internet (wifi) and my tv of course in my living room
  3. The second floor I want to also ensure I have a secondary router upstairs to have wifi in the entire home
  4. If my coaxial cable in the first floor is connected through the moca and all that good stuff would I be able to connect the second moca upstairs using the coaxial to moca? Also from the photo I uploaded it looks extremely confusing as I am unsure if you connect the coaxial which provides internet into the port which says device or network.
Now honestly any advice or anything anyone can answer will appreciated as I am just trying to get any tips or info out of this. I am still doing research because i want to ensure buying a second one would help and also want to know if I would absolutely need a modem like the photos.

Current setup in my home that I live in now is 1 Moto Moca and 1 Router ( to connect all my wifi devices ) which works fine but I am moving to a larger house and need to know how I can cover the entire home with wifi.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/72LmBZ3

kanewolf

Titan
As I understand Moca adapters are suppose to transmit coaxial cables into highspeed internet which makes sense right.
But my question becomes I see some people who still keep there modems but I thought Moca replaces the need for this or am I just confused?
I have uploaded a photo of someone using the MOCA adapter but to me it does not make sense to keep a Modem if you already are converting your coaxial connection to internet.
Now this is a more of another question but random geared towards the moca
  1. Imagine having two floors in your home which is common or whatever.
  2. I have my 1st floor which I need to have internet (wifi) and my tv of course in my living room
  3. The second floor I want to also ensure I have a secondary router upstairs to have wifi in the entire home
  4. If my coaxial cable in the first floor is connected through the moca and all that good stuff would I be able to connect the second moca upstairs using the coaxial to moca? Also from the photo I uploaded it looks extremely confusing as I am unsure if you connect the coaxial which provides internet into the port which says device or network.
Now honestly any advice or anything anyone can answer will appreciated as I am just trying to get any tips or info out of this. I am still doing research because i want to ensure buying a second one would help and also want to know if I would absolutely need a modem like the photos.

Current setup in my home that I live in now is 1 Moto Moca and 1 Router ( to connect all my wifi devices ) which works fine but I am moving to a larger house and need to know how I can cover the entire home with wifi.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/72LmBZ3
The modem is still required because your ISP uses that as their demarcation point. They are responsible for providing a signal and for supporting the network up to the modem.
Usually MoCA is used AFTER the router. It is used in place of an ethernet cable. MoCA adapters are most often used in pairs in a point-to-point network link. You can use MoCA to fan out if you have the proper coax spitters.

I think the only provider that uses MoCA is FIOS. I think it is only used between the ONT there brand of router, the fiber uses a different protocol for the fiber coming into the ONT

The reason say comcast can't use moca is they need something much much more advanced. Moca can only handle a very limited number of users I think 16. The distance you can go with DOCSIS is much more also. In addition each users has different encryption keys to prevent snooping on other people traffic with docsis. It also has much more control over the transmissions. On moca end devices can hog the bandwidth in docsis (used by cable companies) they have the ability to have many different rates depending on how much someone pays.

So the cable company uses DOCSIS to come into the house and the modem/router converts it to ethernet which you can then plug into a MoCA adapter. Some of the very newest cable modem/router have this moca adapter built in but internally it is still connect to a lan interface of the router in the box. What makes people think you don't need the modem is that it used the same cable to bring the internet in as to send the moca out to your house. It is a very special device not just a modem.

TRENDING THREADS