Motorola Moto X Pure Edition Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluelady1960

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
I have this phone ....now...I love everything about it but..the battery would get hot ..make sure that you turn on the cooler .I used Motorola product c in the TV business for years ...damm fine products...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
You forgot to mention that this phone doesn't support Camera2 API, and that SUCKS. Stock Moto Camera is garbage, barely anything is adjustable manually. Also, LG G4 can shoot 1080p60 videos with the same SoC while this thing can't. (2160p30, 1080p30 or slo-mo 720p120 played in 30 fps)

Disregard all battery life tests, all you need to know is that this phone dies after 3-4 hours of browsing on Wi-Fi, not gaming. Turbo Charging offsets that to an extent, but it annoys me because more charging cycles = shortened battery lifespan. BTW @abbadon_34: about 1 hour 15 minutes from 5 to 100% and 30 minutes from 5 to 50% on bundled Turbo charger; I used a normal 5 V charger a few times but didn't record how long it took :(

Still love this phone though. There might be worthy alternatives this year but I was looking for Qualcomm SoC (so I can get CyanogenMod later - which, annoyingly, is still not there fully), decent camera, stock Android, large and at least FHD display and full support for less-than-obvious features such as USB OTG (works fine) and Miracast (works great, who even needs Chromecast?), and all that for a reasonable price. And on that front, this phone delivers like no other. Ideally, though, I'd rather it have FHD AMOLED, larger battery (like on Moto X Force - I think it's known as Droid Turbo 2 or something in the US, the one with shatterproof display) and full support for Camera2 (and 1080p60 recording, since both the SoC and the sensor can do it). Not inflating the price just for lulz in some regions would also be greatly appreciated...

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I've had the Moto X Pure Edition since launch. It's an awesome phone. Especially considering that I went from a Google Galaxy Nexus -> Moto X Pure Edition. It's definitely best to get the phone that you want.

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I wanted to get the Moto X Pure but i really wanted to wait for a new generation of SoC's and the 820 seems to be it. I think I'm going to get the LG G5 after having only Nexus phones for the last 3 1/2 years (Nexus 4, Nexus 5.. still).

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I wanted to get the Moto X Pure but i really wanted to wait for a new generation of SoC's and the 820 seems to be it. I think I'm going to get the LG G5 after having only Nexus phones for the last 3 1/2 years (Nexus 4, Nexus 5.. still).

Definitely should wait at this point. S808 is nice but S620/820 will tear it apart. Might want to wait for a Motorola phone with these though since LG, just like other vendors, charges $100-200 extra compared to Moto for gimmicks barely anyone really needs.

I love my Moto X Pure. I'm curious why you guys didn't use Android 6.0, though. I got it months ago.
I think they used Android 6.0 since the camera settings are different.
On Android 5.x the The camera app control ring has a pointing finger icon that toggles manual focus off and on...that setting is no longer available.
redir

The_Sly

Commendable
May 7, 2016
Thanks for the review, not sure if this will be responded still. Regarding the calculation of black levels of a display, is it correct to say that a display at 613 nits brightness that has 0.36 nits of black, will have 0.11 nits black at 200 nits brightness level? (normal division). Also, how is the contrast ratio measured, if there is a formula? It seems like in terms of deep blacks and contrast ratio, the X Play is better than the X Pure.

MobileEditor

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Thanks for the review, not sure if this will be responded still. Regarding the calculation of black levels of a display, is it correct to say that a display at 613 nits brightness that has 0.36 nits of black, will have 0.11 nits black at 200 nits brightness level? (normal division). Also, how is the contrast ratio measured, if there is a formula? It seems like in terms of deep blacks and contrast ratio, the X Play is better than the X Pure.

Your estimation of black level should be pretty close. It does not seem to be perfectly linear in practice.

Contrast ratio is just luminance / black level. So for 200 nits and 0.16 black level, the contrast ratio would be 1250. Because OLED displays have a zero black level, they have an infinite contrast ratio.

The IPS LCDs with the best black levels use photo-aligned crystals.

- Matt Humrick

yogk16

Commendable
May 10, 2016
I think, the phone is good but not the best, lacks in some area including OS, Camera and battery backup

Status
Not open for further replies.