Motorola Officially Unveils the Insanely Affordable Moto G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
The true successor to the Nexus 4. Pretty good specs for an unbeatable price.

If it has MicroSD slot nothing else could be asked for.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Awesome phone that will likely run smooth as butter on stock android. They should be ready to sell millions of these, especially in developing countries.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This ia a great off contact phone. Stock Android and no bloatware from the carriers. The only downside is no MicroSD slot. If that was included this would have been the best phone on the market for years to come especially when you can grab a UHS-1 32GB microSD card for $25.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Stock Android makes me quite happy - I actually avoid buying Samsung Android products because they put so much crap in with the OS. If not for being stuck in a contract for one more year, I'd strongly consider getting one of these.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Good point. Stock Android also runs much better on lower end hardware. My 2012 Nexus 7 still runs like brand new on 1GB of RAM and a Tegra 3. I can't tell any difference in performance between it and my Aunt's 2013 model with much better specs. Kit Kat should make that even better. Frequent upgrades on these things are also a big plus.

I think we're going to start seeing a price war now that performance is starting to top out.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Maybe in the short term JD, but my expectation - and don't quote me on it - is that we'll start to see phone/tablet performance tablet start to compete off of the built-in screen. With devices being more and more capable of outputting and streaming and miniaturization being one of the primary focuses of R&D these days, I'm rather expecting the performance wars to move to what the phone can output onto a big screen. Come into a house, hook up to the network there, and have your phone's screen output to the big screen display for games and movies and whatnot. I mean, if you can get a phone now which is more powerful than an XBOX/PS3, I think we're just a few short leaps from obsoleting the "big central computer" philosophy in the PC world.

Now, of course, this would still be a few years off, and this could go the way of cloud computing instead - but cloud computing still suffers from a lot of pitfalls that having a centralized device doesn't, and the two working in tandem is more likely in the next decade or so than everything going pure cloud with stripped down devices.

We'll see. I do doubt we've actually reached a plateau with mobile devices though - just a pleateau for mobile devices on those tiny little screens.

jcperes

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
While in US it will cost US$199, here in Brazil, it will probably cost the equivalent to $500. And NO it isn't only duo to high taxes, but mainly because brazilian consumer is stupid enough to pay whatever the price is to show its new phone to friends and family. Iphone 5S will cost here the equivalent to US$ 1350 for 16GB model and US$ 1550 for the 64GB model. Thinking the 16GB 5C is more affordable ? Only US$ 1000!

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

This is also true. In fact, this is what Ubuntu is already doing. When plugged into a dock attached to a large monitor the phone outputs a full desktop OS.

Performance is already there to do it. Your Surface RT is a good example and the Tegra 3 chip in it is already nearly doubled in performance by the chips in the current flagship phones. Ubuntu and Chrome OS would have even better performance because of their light weight nature.

I'm interested to see how it works though with mobile devices though. Will tablets and notebooks just have a slot where your phone goes like the ASUS Padphone? Eventually it will probably work wirelessly.

High end phones will have this option, but I also think we are going to start seeing smartphone price drops as many people wouldn't care about this feature.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Looks like the Moto X, what I like about replaceable covers is the ability to change because you feel like it and/or because of damage. Other-wise, it doesn't seem much different than the X.

I would like the Motorola Circles to be an option thou...
And how about a toggle switch to allow Android UI to run in Horizontal mode, like when a Motorola is in its car-dock?

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure this is a troll, but I'll bite.

Many phones are already more powerful than some desktops from 5 years ago. Will they replace high end gaming rigs in the near future? No, but they can run web browsers, word processors, photo editing tools, and older games with ease. These are the only tools the majority of people need, especially as we transition into using more cloud based services in place of desktop applications.

This is indeed the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D93tDSGrkc

Here it is in action on a very old Motorloa Atrix phone.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Not just Ubuntu is anticipating this, I think. Though we don't necessarily agree on the preferable approach, Windows 8 is an obvious attempt to create an operating system that can operate in both capacities - on a tiny touch screen or outputting to a big screen. And yeah, this is exactly what I do with my Surface/Iconia W700 - it is used in its portable capacity on the go, and plugs in and runs very well on a 55 inch TV at home, and with little to no hassle by enthusiast standards.

Ever since I heard about a graphics card that could output a picture wirelessly though, I've been thinking that this is something that could get a lot of people interested in it - and the recent small but noticeable push for local streaming of video through a network reinforces my thoughts that this is going to be a big thing. Right now and in the near future, you're right - it isn't something that many people are interested in outside of enthusiasts. Part of the problem is that it (usually) requires a micro-HDMI cable which is not a standard item in many households, and that you then need to access often hard to access ports in the back if a free cable isn't loose, and then you probably have to fiddle with graphics settings to get it working optimally. These types of little hitches turn off more casual users in a big way unlike the enthusiast who is used to crawling around the mess of wires behind a PC/TV like some monkey trying to get to a banana. What will it take for this to be a big thing? One, absolute ease of use - true plug and play with video signals, no messing around. Two, wireless streaming or input/output, where one can detect video inputs and outputs like we now detect wifi signals.

I liken it to the uptake on USB devices. These days, my mom is switches mice and keyboards on the fly like it was nothing. Go back, oh, ten years or more though, and plugging in a device to a USB 1.0 port or a PCI port and you had to be installing software and changing settings and sometimes downloading drivers - my mom thought this was well beyond her. These are all things people could do without *too* much difficulty, but fiddling with a computer like that is well beyond the comfort level of most people. Make it like USB now though, or like connecting to wifi, and even the casual user will happily walk into a household and say "Oh, what's your video network? What's the password? Ok, let me just sync my phone to your TV and let's play a game/view some pictures/whatever."

The technology for this type of thing is, in my eyes, where USB type technology was ten years ago - on the cusp of becoming really easy. Once it becomes really easy, then those little devices become useable to the casual user in a whole new way that I think they might find they want.

Really? Believe it or not, you can already do it for all but *extremely* CPU/GPU intensive tasks with tablets you can get for under $400 or less. The tablets of today won't be as powerful as the phones of two years from now. Do you *really* think that a lot of users couldn't get away with using a tablet as a primary computer today, let alone a few years ago? And what makes you think this won't be true of phones - basically small form factor tablets - in a year or two as well?

Now, that being said, desktops aren't going anywhere any time soon. The thing is, a lot of places where people used to think "oh, you need a desktop PC" are now the domain of tablets, and this is becoming more and more prevalent. I know more than a few people in business who now go to work and use their Surface Pro instead of their desktop PC, and that same Surface is both their home and entertainment device - and Android and iOS are quickly coming into that realm of functionality.

No, your statement is short sighted. Desktop PC's won't be eclipsed for heavy graphics/CPU usage devices for a while, but for many, many other things, they are already no longer necessary.

Did you miss the part about "OFF Contract"??? Which LG phone are you talking about??? The ones i see want you to pay for a traditional plan to get it for $99.

Prepaid users will be lining up to buy this phone, currently all prepaid phones are either garbage with old android 3.2, or cost over $300 for a half decent phone. This phone gives you great specs, with the most up to date software for $179. Plus you can use it on your prepaid <$50 a month plan to save even more money. It's a winner.

S Brideau

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Depends where you are, I've seen prepaid phones with the most recent Android version for around $100 and they were mid range.

Please provide a model or link????

I can't find anything close to what you're saying. If it has even an older version of android 4.0 or 4.1, it still has a single core 1ghz processor outdated processor. And nothing less than $250 with more cores. Certainly nothing close to the spec and software of the Moto G.

Status
Not open for further replies.