Motorola Unveils Which Smartphones Will Get Android 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnycanadian

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
2014 or later, eh? This is precisely why I left Android behind some time ago. OEMs are going to have to get their collective S together and start supporting handsets that are more than one year old with new OS releases.

G

i have an unlocked 2nd gen moto e that came out in march, i'm still waiting for the 5.1 update and now i won't even get marshmellow, which is released only seven months after the phone's launch. how fucking delightful.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It really sucks for those who bought the 2014 Moto X from a carrier. Support dropped after 1 year, and it's not the first time Motorola has done this either. The Droid 3 was dropped after just 1 update to 2.3 a few months after launch.

Dino Dubravcevic

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
It feels like customer satisfaction has disappeared and the only thing exists is manufacturers'. They just strive for ppl to blindly buy next gen phones. Not fair at all. Selfish and unprofessional....

Everyone blasts Apple for their pricing. But a 2011 iPhone 4s just got the latest iOS 9 update. Each supported generation also gets updates instantly.

It remains to be seen how long MS will support their Nokia phones.

Google really needs to take Android control away from the manufacturers. Instead require manufactures of phones to submit drivers to Google. Then Google can make an updater that installs Android with all drivers and delete those the phone does not use. Also make a similar updater for running an update through a PC if the Android device has insufficient memory. Make the updater give an option for a clean install for device owners that want a vanilla Android experience.

That way a phone will be supported until the drivers are obsolete or it simply doesn't have the RAM or storage to handle the latest version.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
"It remains to be seen how long MS will support their Nokia phones."

Upto (mid) 2016.
After which they'll pass the ball back to Nokia for "Nokia" branded devices I guess }:)

Joking aside, hasn't M$ already told which devices will get Windows Phone 10 and which won't?

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

You are making too much sense!!!

This is exactly what is wrong with the Android market. The carriers force the manufactures to build new phones every 24 months. Then they will only release OS updates for 18 months of a devices life. For instance my first Android ATT HTC phone came with Eclair, then they released the Froyo update and abandoned it. My second Android ATT phone came with ICS then it was upgraded to Jelly Bean and then forgotten. Its becoming a trend if you want a new OS for android you have to buy a new device or root the phone and load a custom ROM.

Google needs to fix this because it is ridiculous. Google needs to take back these options from the carriers and manufactures and control hardware and software just like Apple. I would totally go with a Nexus phone but not unless it is made by HTC with fingerprint reader and dual front facing speakers and expandable storage!!

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
I'm surprised Doze Mode hasn't been available on Android yet. What I assume means keeping all programs except the very core needed to get calls and sleeping the CPU as much as possible..probably just about all the time except to ping the wireless tech.

x86 computers can wake from LAN so smartphones ought to do have incredible standby life with this technique. But depends how much they can sleep the CPU

Daniel Ladishew

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Well here is hoping that I don't have to wait 6 months more than everyone else again to get this update on my Droid Turbo. Thx (VZW + Motorola = wait forever) guys.

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Given my experience with the Turbo, upgrading to Lollipop was a mistake... even though it took 6 months for the update to become available...

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Curious Why do you say it was a mistake? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.