Motorola V551 SIMM Upgrade

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Quick question. Our phone has the 32 bit SIMM. Any idea what it will
cost to upgrade to a 64 bit SIMM? Hope I spelled everything
correctly. Thanks in advance.

Just had 3 phones done and it didn't cost me a thing.

"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
> Quick question. Our phone has the 32 bit SIMM. Any idea what it will
> cost to upgrade to a 64 bit SIMM? Hope I spelled everything
> correctly. Thanks in advance.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:49:32 -0600, "Paul J. Klein"
<pklein56@comcast.net> wrote:

>"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Quick question. Our phone has the 32 bit SIMM. Any idea what it will
>> cost to upgrade to a 64 bit SIMM? Hope I spelled everything
>> correctly. Thanks in advance.
>
>Just had 3 phones done and it didn't cost me a thing.

Let me be certain I understand. You have 3 V551 phones and you just
upgraded the SIMMs for free? Today, I went to a Cingular store and
the price was 19.95. Then I stepped around the corner and the price
at Best Buy was 29.95!

May I ask where you went? And thanks for your post.

I should have told you that I also changed my numbers from areacode 215 to
505 with new numbers
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:49:32 -0600, "Paul J. Klein"
> <pklein56@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Quick question. Our phone has the 32 bit SIMM. Any idea what it will
>>> cost to upgrade to a 64 bit SIMM? Hope I spelled everything
>>> correctly. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Just had 3 phones done and it didn't cost me a thing.
>
> Let me be certain I understand. You have 3 V551 phones and you just
> upgraded the SIMMs for free? Today, I went to a Cingular store and
> the price was 19.95. Then I stepped around the corner and the price
> at Best Buy was 29.95!
>
> May I ask where you went? And thanks for your post.

Also they weren't v551
"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:49:32 -0600, "Paul J. Klein"
> <pklein56@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Quick question. Our phone has the 32 bit SIMM. Any idea what it will
>>> cost to upgrade to a 64 bit SIMM? Hope I spelled everything
>>> correctly. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Just had 3 phones done and it didn't cost me a thing.
>
> Let me be certain I understand. You have 3 V551 phones and you just
> upgraded the SIMMs for free? Today, I went to a Cingular store and
> the price was 19.95. Then I stepped around the corner and the price
> at Best Buy was 29.95!
>
> May I ask where you went? And thanks for your post.

Hex

Call customer service and tell them you still have the old 32K SIMM and
that you wanted to upgrade
to the new 64K SIMM and see what they can do.

If you just want a new sim, not making any changes it will cost $20 to
$25 at a Cingular store.

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:11:54 GMT, "<----- Which Way ----->"
<traxless@msn.com> wrote:

>Quick question. Our phone has the 32 bit SIMM. Any idea what it will
>cost to upgrade to a 64 bit SIMM? Hope I spelled everything
>correctly. Thanks in advance.

"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
> Quick question. Our phone has the 32 bit SIMM. Any idea what it will
> cost to upgrade to a 64 bit SIMM? Hope I spelled everything
> correctly. Thanks in advance.

The old SIM card upgrade question....

The 64K SIM is for only one purpose; it supports ENS (Enhanced Network
Selection). The phone does not function any differently with the 32K SIM
than with the 64K version. ENS is a way for Cingular (not the end user) to
selectively "re-home" customers on the system of their choice. (Orange homed
customers can be moved to the Blue network to spread the load around where
overlapping networks exist and vice versa). If you have a lot of "system
busy" failures, a 64K SIM might help. No other additional functions are
supported at this time by the 64K SIM. It isn't better, just newer.

Even the Treo 650 issue has been misunderstood a great deal. Treo 650s work
fine with 32K SIMs. If you have a Treo and a 64K SIM, it needs to be an
Axalto SIM, not a Gem Plus SIM. Again, only ENS is supported by the 64 over
the 32. It doesn't store more numbers, it doesn't make the phone work
better, it doesn't give you access to more features....nothin' but ENS and
ENS is dependant upon Cingular making the change, probably while you sleep
and without your knowledge.

Do people want this because it's new? Remember "New Coke"?

The engineers have sent hundreds of memos regarding SIMs within the Cingular
channels, but nobody ever seems to read them, even their own CS reps.

Sorry, but I deal with this about a hundred times a day....and I'm a little
cranky right now...

Mark

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:16:12 GMT, "Mark W. Oots" <mark_ctc@(no
spam)ameritech.net> wrote:

>The old SIM card upgrade question....
>
>The 64K SIM is for only one purpose; it supports ENS (Enhanced Network
>Selection). The phone does not function any differently with the 32K SIM
>than with the 64K version. ENS is a way for Cingular (not the end user) to
>selectively "re-home" customers on the system of their choice. (Orange homed
>customers can be moved to the Blue network to spread the load around where
>overlapping networks exist and vice versa). If you have a lot of "system
>busy" failures, a 64K SIM might help. No other additional functions are
>supported at this time by the 64K SIM. It isn't better, just newer.
>
>Even the Treo 650 issue has been misunderstood a great deal. Treo 650s work
>fine with 32K SIMs. If you have a Treo and a 64K SIM, it needs to be an
>Axalto SIM, not a Gem Plus SIM. Again, only ENS is supported by the 64 over
>the 32. It doesn't store more numbers, it doesn't make the phone work
>better, it doesn't give you access to more features....nothin' but ENS and
>ENS is dependant upon Cingular making the change, probably while you sleep
>and without your knowledge.
>
>Do people want this because it's new? Remember "New Coke"?
>
>The engineers have sent hundreds of memos regarding SIMs within the Cingular
>channels, but nobody ever seems to read them, even their own CS reps.
>

>Sorry, but I deal with this about a hundred times a day....and I'm a little
>cranky right now...
>
>Mark

Cranky or not Mark, you've help me to understand that I may have been
wasting money. I had thought that the 64K SIM did a better job of
selecting the preferred tower (signal) ... ATT or Cingular.

Mark W. Oots wrote:

> The old SIM card upgrade question....
>
> The 64K SIM is for only one purpose; it supports ENS
> (Enhanced Network Selection). The phone does not
> function any differently with the 32K SIM than with the
> 64K version. ENS is a way for Cingular (not the end
> user) to selectively "re-home" customers on the
> system of their choice. (Orange homed customers
> can be moved to the Blue network to spread the load
> around where overlapping networks exist and vice
> versa). If you have a lot of "system busy" failures,
> a 64K SIM might help. No other additional functions
> are supported at this time by the 64K SIM. It isn't
> better, just newer.
>
> Even the Treo 650 issue has been misunderstood
> a great deal. Treo 650s work fine with 32K SIMs.
> If you have a Treo and a 64K SIM, it needs to be
> an Axalto SIM, not a Gem Plus SIM. Again, only
> ENS is supported by the 64 over the 32. It doesn't
> store more numbers, it doesn't make the phone
> work better, it doesn't give you access to more
> features....nothin' but ENS and ENS is dependant
> upon Cingular making the change, probably while
> you sleep and without your knowledge.
>
> Do people want this because it's new?
> Remember "New Coke"?
>
> The engineers have sent hundreds of memos
> regarding SIMs within the Cingular channels,
> but nobody ever seems to read them, even their
> own CS reps.
>
> Sorry, but I deal with this about a hundred times
> a day....and I'm a little cranky right now...

So to recap ... you liked new Coke
and recommend the upgrade, right?

(Ducking, running ....
Sorry, and thanks for the explanation.)