Motorola V60 switch to Verizon?

jcc

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004

My husband and I currently have Unicel, a spin-off from Cellular One. We
are in the Northeast, in the hills of Vermont, and get the best reception
from them. (Which isn't too great!) We are moving to Provo Utah in
December, and need to switch to a different cell company.

We understand that Verizon is the best choice for Utah and across the
country. Stop me if I am wrong.

Can we use our Motorola V60 phones with Verizon, or do we have to buy new
ones? I understand that AT&T uses the same phones, but Verizon says they
don't. Is there some way to connect them in, even though Verizon wants us
to buy new ones?

Help would be appreciated. We are not heavy cell users or very
sophisticated technologically...

Thanks.

jcc

If they use the same technology as AT&T, this is called TDMA,
(or GSM in more 'urban areas')

Verizon uses CDMA, which is a totally different technology.

So, sorry no. You will have to get new phones. Doesn't Verizon
have any free or quite inexpensive phones for new subscribers?

"jcc" <jcc999@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My husband and I currently have Unicel, a spin-off from Cellular One. We
> are in the Northeast, in the hills of Vermont, and get the best reception
> from them. (Which isn't too great!) We are moving to Provo Utah in
> December, and need to switch to a different cell company.
>
> We understand that Verizon is the best choice for Utah and across the
> country. Stop me if I am wrong.
>
> Can we use our Motorola V60 phones with Verizon, or do we have to buy new
> ones? I understand that AT&T uses the same phones, but Verizon says they
> don't. Is there some way to connect them in, even though Verizon wants us
> to buy new ones?
>
> Help would be appreciated. We are not heavy cell users or very
> sophisticated technologically...
>
> Thanks.
>
> jcc

There are different models of the v60 phone.

Doing some research on the web, Unicel is TDMA (Time Division Multiple
Access) which is a different technology that Verizon Wireless uses.

VZW uses CDMA - Code Division Multiple Access. Different ways of doing
basically the same thing, but they are NOT compatible.

I assume when you mean you have a v60, you probably have a v60t (TDMA
version). Check on the phone or the box to make sure (look inside the
battery compartment, it should show the full model number)

VZW still sells in SOME markets the V60s phone - a speakerphone
varient of the v60. I currently own one and I like it.

The v60s was created along with the v60p, which is the Push To Talk
varient (and doesn't work too well from what I hear). Basically, its
VZW's answer to Nextel.

They used to sell the v60c and at least one or two more varities, but
they have been discontinued. The v60s may be next.

Before you switch, ask your friends:

1) Does it work for them at their homes and where they work?

2) Does it work where they travel or vacation?

Also, check the VZW website for a map for America's Choice, their
not-quite nationwide plan (they do offer true nationwide but for more
money). I currently have America's Choice and rarely roam where I live
in the eastern seaboard.

Utah may be different. Check with the map to see if it works where you
want it to. (Of course the map may not be 100% accurate, but it will
give you a ballpark figure).

Check things out before you switch. But I'm happy with my service :)

Dave

Richard Ness <richard.no@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote:

> So, sorry no. You will have to get new phones. Doesn't Verizon
> have any free or quite inexpensive phones for new subscribers?

Nokia 3589i and Kyocera 2325...