MOTOROLA V60S ???

FeliX

I just got a V60s and have a few questions.

1) In comparing the signal strengh side by side with my old V60c I
find the V60c has more bars. Does the V60c hold the signal better?

2) Reminders don't beep or vibrate when I get a text or voicemail?
( please note I did check to see if the Reminders are turned on)

3) Does this phone have issues like the T720?

I have about another 10 days to go in my 15 day trial?

I also asked around and VZW techs said they don't change the antenna's
from the stubby to the extentable, and they said it don't make no
difference in signal strength...

Please advise ....Thanks

In article <87e0800a.0407010803.501f23ee@posting.google.com>,
EENYC1@AOL.COM (FELIX) wrote:

> I just got a V60s and have a few questions.
>
> 1) In comparing the signal strengh side by side with my old V60c I
> find the V60c has more bars. Does the V60c hold the signal better?
>
> 2) Reminders don't beep or vibrate when I get a text or voicemail?
> ( please note I did check to see if the Reminders are turned on)
>
> 3) Does this phone have issues like the T720?
>
> I have about another 10 days to go in my 15 day trial?
>
> I also asked around and VZW techs said they don't change the antenna's
> from the stubby to the extentable, and they said it don't make no
> difference in signal strength...
>
> Please advise ....Thanks

First off, this is a personal opinion/experience...

1) Don't know about the v60c, but I had 2 v60i's before my v60s - and
the v60i's were definitely better when it came to signal strength.

2) My reminders always beeped or vibrated until I took care of them.

3) The only issue I (and others) came across was the ringer problems.
Sometimes a call would come in that would not ring, or vibrate, or even
show ANY indication that a call was being received (I ended up swapping
my 3 v60s's for 3 Samsung a530's).

4) When I replaced one of my 3 v60s stubby antennas, I saw a definite
increase in reception. With 3 v60s's in the same room, the one that I
exchanged with the retractable antenna (from my old v60i) had one more
bar, and better reception.

For what it's worth...

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."

On 1 Jul 2004 09:03:02 -0700, EENYC1@AOL.COM (FELIX) wrote:

>I just got a V60s and have a few questions.
>
>1) In comparing the signal strengh side by side with my old V60c I
>find the V60c has more bars. Does the V60c hold the signal better?

The signal strength meter is meaningless, and can vary from phone to
phone, even among the same model.

>2) Reminders don't beep or vibrate when I get a text or voicemail?
> ( please note I did check to see if the Reminders are turned on)

But is a sound assigned for them?

>3) Does this phone have issues like the T720?

Like?

>I have about another 10 days to go in my 15 day trial?

Is that a question?

>I also asked around and VZW techs said they don't change the antenna's
>from the stubby to the extentable, and they said it don't make no
>difference in signal strength...

We do at an indirect store. I'm sure the retractable does make a
difference. Noticeable? I don't know. We sell them both.

Evan

FeliX

Evan Platt <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message news:<btr9e0lrtbjddh02p2ouktf555854g1a49@4ax.com>...
> On 1 Jul 2004 09:03:02 -0700, EENYC1@AOL.COM (FELIX) wrote:
>
> >I just got a V60s and have a few questions.
> >
> >1) In comparing the signal strengh side by side with my old V60c I
> >find the V60c has more bars. Does the V60c hold the signal better?
>
> The signal strength meter is meaningless, and can vary from phone to
> phone, even among the same model.
>
> >2) Reminders don't beep or vibrate when I get a text or voicemail?
> > ( please note I did check to see if the Reminders are turned on)
>
> But is a sound assigned for them?
>
> >3) Does this phone have issues like the T720?
>
> Like?
>
> >I have about another 10 days to go in my 15 day trial?
>
> Is that a question?
>
> >I also asked around and VZW techs said they don't change the antenna's
> >from the stubby to the extentable, and they said it don't make no
> >difference in signal strength...
>
> We do at an indirect store. I'm sure the retractable does make a
> difference. Noticeable? I don't know. We sell them both.
>
> Evan

>2) Reminders don't beep or vibrate when I get a text or voicemail?
> > ( please note I did check to see if the Reminders are turned on)
>
> But is a sound assigned for them?

Yes a sound is assigned to them. for the loud setting the alert to Beep,
and the vibrate mode is vibrate.

I have about another 10 days to go in my 15 day trial?

> Is that a question?
Sorry typo...type to fast...and no spell checker... ;)

We do at an indirect store. I'm sure the retractable does make a
> difference. Noticeable? I don't know. We sell them both

Where are you located? I'm in the NYC market...

FPP writes:

> 3) The only issue I (and others) came across was the ringer problems.
> Sometimes a call would come in that would not ring, or vibrate, or even
> show ANY indication that a call was being received (I ended up swapping
> my 3 v60s's for 3 Samsung a530's).

How have you liked the a530s?

Ted

--
Theodore Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

In article <200406021908.PNR01973@netins.net>,
Theodore Heise <theise@netins.net> wrote:

> FPP writes:
>
> > 3) The only issue I (and others) came across was the ringer problems.
> > Sometimes a call would come in that would not ring, or vibrate, or even
> > show ANY indication that a call was being received (I ended up swapping
> > my 3 v60s's for 3 Samsung a530's).
>
> How have you liked the a530s?
>
> Ted

I like it. A lot... for a variety of reasons.

First and foremost, the battery life is light years better than I've had
in the past. Easily 2 to 3 times longer than my v60i, and 3 to 4 times
better than the v60s.

I had to charge the Motorola's almost every day, or risk getting caught
with low battery power. If I didn't charge every other day, the battery
would be on it's last legs - and that's with relatively little use.

The 530 will routinely go 4 days without a charge...

It's got a decent color screen, whereas the both v60 models were
monochrome. The small size of the 530 is a point in it's favor. It's
on a par with the v60i, and smaller than a v60s. WAY easier to open
using one hand too...

Reception with the antenna down is at least as good as reception with
the antenna up on the other phones. The antenna seems sturdier on the
530, and about twice as long. Quality of the sound coming in and going
out is good... better than the v60i and much better than the v60s.

The 530 has polyphonic ringers, whereas the v60i doesn't. (The v60s
does.) Just about the only area where the Motorola v60s blows the a530
away is the speakers. The v60s is a speakerphone, and a pretty good one
at that. It's polyphonic ringtones are really loud, and pleasing.

The 530's are *not* without their shortcomings, though... The
speaker/ringers aren't as loud as I'd like - and the built-in selection
of tones is appallingly bad. However, it is Get-It-Now capable, and the
ringtones available for a price are decent. The ringtones available
commercially for the v60s are few and far between, and only the
vtext.com site seems able to supply them.

Also, I think the 530's lack of a reoccurring reminder when a call is
missed is kind of irritating. I'm used to the v60s nagging the hell out
of me when I've missed something. The changeable metal covers on the
Motorola's are a nice touch I'd have liked to see on the Samsung. (My
seventeen year old is hard on a phone - and most everything else.)

All in all, I like them - and so do my wife and #2 son. I got them for
free... but I'd have paid the going rate to get them. The Verizon
website has been selling them dirt cheap lately.

> How have you liked the a530s?

Does that about sum it up for you? Or were you looking for a more
simple "Yeah, they're OK." type answer?

Fred

--

On 3 Jul 2004 01:20:28 -0500, FPP <fredp@mail.com> wrote:

>First and foremost, the battery life is light years better than I've had
>in the past.

Try the GSM Sony Ericsson P900. Claims a 16 hour talk time, 480 hour
standby.

Evan

FPP writes:
> In article <200406021908.PNR01973@netins.net>,
>
> > How have you liked the a530s?

> I like it. A lot... for a variety of reasons.

I replaced my old StarTAC 7868W many months ago. The first phone I
tried was a V60s (largely based on comments in this newsgroup). It
didn't take me long to return it--the phone was too thick, and most
importantly the battery life was terrible. The Radio Shack sales
person recommended the a530 instead, and I've been *very* pleased.

> The 530 will routinely go 4 days without a charge...

I've not tried to push mine out that far, but it doesn't surprise me.
I tend to be very methodical, so it's easiest for me to remember to
just plan on charging every other night. I'm sure I could go three
days, if I wanted to.

> It's got a decent color screen, whereas the both v60 models were
> monochrome. The small size of the 530 is a point in it's favor. It's
> on a par with the v60i, and smaller than a v60s. WAY easier to open
> using one hand too...

The color screen is pretty, but just a perk for me. I was actually
satisfied with the old StarTAC's display. :) The size is perfect for
me, and you're right about it being easy to open with one hand.

> Reception with the antenna down is at least as good as reception with
> the antenna up on the other phones. The antenna seems sturdier on the
> 530, and about twice as long. Quality of the sound coming in and going
> out is good... better than the v60i and much better than the v60s.

T didn't use my V60s long enough to get a good feel for the sound
quality, but I occasionally think the a530 isn't quite as good as my
StarTAC was. If not, it's awfully close, though. The antenna looks
easy to replace. My reception has been okay--I've dropped a few calls,
but the other end was always a mobile phone and it could have been the
end that lost it.

> The 530 has polyphonic ringers, whereas the v60i doesn't. (The v60s
> does.) Just about the only area where the Motorola v60s blows the a530
> away is the speakers. The v60s is a speakerphone, and a pretty good one
> at that. It's polyphonic ringtones are really loud, and pleasing.

> The 530's are *not* without their shortcomings, though... The
> speaker/ringers aren't as loud as I'd like - and the built-in selection
> of tones is appallingly bad.

I don't really need a speakerphone, and like a pretty plain ringtone, so
these points don't matter much to me. They are valid points, just not
important to me personally.

> Also, I think the 530's lack of a reoccurring reminder when a call is
> missed is kind of irritating.

My a530 reminds me of missed calls and waiting voice mail. It is quite
a long time between reminders, though--perhaps an hour. Maybe you haven't
waited long enough? :)

> ... The changeable metal covers on the
> Motorola's are a nice touch I'd have liked to see on the Samsung. (My
> seventeen year old is hard on a phone - and most everything else.)

I have three sons ranging in age from 17 to 23. I know *exactly*
what you mean. :)

> All in all, I like them - and so do my wife and #2 son. I got them for
> free... but I'd have paid the going rate to get them. The Verizon
> website has been selling them dirt cheap lately.

One shortcoming you didn't mention is no analog mode with this phone.
For me, that's actually an advantage, as I have only rarely needed analog
and the times I've tried (with my StarTAC) it was almost unusable. The
absence of analog precludes the a530 from trying to find an analog tower
in weak digital signal areas, and contributes to the great battery life.

> Does that about sum it up for you? Or were you looking for a more
> simple "Yeah, they're OK." type answer?

No, that was perfect. :) I've been so pleased with my a530 that it's
seemed funny there hasn't been much praise of it on this forum. Thanks
for the detailed comments.

Ted

--
Theodore Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

In article <200406030816.PNR04874@netins.net>,
Theodore Heise <theise@netins.net> wrote:

> > The 530 will routinely go 4 days without a charge...
>
> I've not tried to push mine out that far, but it doesn't surprise me.
> I tend to be very methodical, so it's easiest for me to remember to
> just plan on charging every other night. I'm sure I could go three
> days, if I wanted to.

I don't do it routinely, but I wanted to see if it would go the
distance. It does. (I have a spare battery charging in a dual charger
cradle, just in case.

> The color screen is pretty, but just a perk for me. I was actually
> satisfied with the old StarTAC's display. :) The size is perfect for
> me, and you're right about it being easy to open with one hand.

I think I like it because I went so long without one. Well, that, and
I'm in the Graphics business... Having my own logo is not a moral
imperative - but, jeeze, it *is* my line of work, and I've got a
reputation to maintain :)

> I don't really need a speakerphone, and like a pretty plain ringtone, so
> these points don't matter much to me. They are valid points, just not
> important to me personally.

The speakerphone was mainly for my son, again. He just got his license
this week, and we wanted him to have a phone he didn't have to hold when
he was talking and driving. Not that we *want* him to talk and drive...
but I am under no delusions that he won't.

We bought him his phone first, and liked it enough to buy 2 more for us.
Since all of the accessories we had for the v60i fit the v60s, the
choice was a no brainer. (Extra batteries, charger cradles, car
chargers, cases, etc.)

> My a530 reminds me of missed calls and waiting voice mail. It is quite
> a long time between reminders, though--perhaps an hour. Maybe you haven't
> waited long enough? :)

I don't think I've ever heard a reminder - except in the case of text
messages. There is a setting where you can elect to get reminders. I
haven't noticed the same with calls and voicemail. Gotta check it out.

> One shortcoming you didn't mention is no analog mode with this phone.
> For me, that's actually an advantage, as I have only rarely needed analog
> and the times I've tried (with my StarTAC) it was almost unusable. The
> absence of analog precludes the a530 from trying to find an analog tower
> in weak digital signal areas, and contributes to the great battery life.

Forgot completely about it. I've never been outside of a digital area,
and the one experience I had with an analog call on by v60s convinced me
that it wasn't worth worrying about. The quality was worse than no call
at all.

All in all, I'd give another SAMSUNG a shot when it comes time to
upgrade.

Fred

--

FPP writes:
> In article <200406030816.PNR04874@netins.net>,
> Theodore Heise <theise@netins.net> wrote:
>
> > I've not tried to push mine out that far, but it doesn't surprise me.
> > I tend to be very methodical, so it's easiest for me to remember to
> > just plan on charging every other night.

> I don't do it routinely, but I wanted to see if it would go the
> distance. It does. (I have a spare battery charging in a dual charger
> cradle, just in case.

I've carry a charged spare in my briefcase and keep a third on the
charging cradle. I rarely need the spare, but if I need extended data
time (online access with my notebook), it comes in handy.

> I'm in the Graphics business... Having my own logo is not a moral
> imperative - but, jeeze, it *is* my line of work, and I've got a
> reputation to maintain :)

Makes sense to me. :)

> The speakerphone was mainly for my son, again. He just got his license
> this week, and we wanted him to have a phone he didn't have to hold when
> he was talking and driving. Not that we *want* him to talk and drive...
> but I am under no delusions that he won't.

I got a headset for mine. It works well, just have to plan usage so
that I don't have to try to hook it up while driving.

--
Theodore Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

I think the motorola signal strength is based more on design/circuitry
than antenna. If I put my v60c (with extendable antenna) next to my
friends later v120e (with stub antenna) - the v60 always gets less
bars. And all the LG phones have moved to stub antenna, they have even
released one with internal antenna for sprint. I would hope they know
what they are doing...

TRENDING THREADS