May 11, 2019
I'm attempting to upgrade my graphics card in a pre-built computer, and I opened up the PC to make sure a graphics card would physically fit. As you can see in the images, the CD ROM is very obviously in the way of a larger card, but I plan on removing it (never used it) to make room, which I'm pretty sure is possible (haven't actually tried yet). The second issue that I have is that the 3.5" HDD would be cutting extremely close to some taller graphics cards. In the case, there are only 2 mounting slots. One for 3.5", and one for 2.5". Is there any way to mount a 3.5" HDD on a 2.5" slot? Is there some sort of adapter plate that I could use? Could I 3D print an adapter? If that's not possible, is there an alternative option, such as replacing the entire mounting plate of the case? Any advice and knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Inside case
Overview

Solution
don't think i have ever seen an adapter to go to 3.5 from 2.5.

the dvd drive should be easy to remove. you can move the hdd to anyplace really. so long as you can get a screw or 2 into it to hold it steady, it should be ok. i've even drilled a hole or 2 to relocate a hdd a few times.

no clue what gpu you plan on putting there but with that 180w psu you're not gonna put much in there anyway. they make lots of short/mini cards for low power gpu's. one of those would solve the hdd being in the way easy enough. i'd just look for a mini version of whatever low end card you're thinking of buying and go with that.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

the dvd drive should be easy to remove. you can move the hdd to anyplace really. so long as you can get a screw or 2 into it to hold it steady, it should be ok. i've even drilled a hole or 2 to relocate a hdd a few times.

no clue what gpu you plan on putting there but with that 180w psu you're not gonna put much in there anyway. they make lots of short/mini cards for low power gpu's. one of those would solve the hdd being in the way easy enough. i'd just look for a mini version of whatever low end card you're thinking of buying and go with that.

Solution
May 11, 2019

Thanks, I thought I could get at least 1 screw into the HDD, I just didn't know if that was sufficient. I also do plan on upgrading the PSU to something like a 450W one to run a GPU, but also for future upgradability. I was planning on using something like an RX 570 in the PC, but I couldn't find mini versions so I had looked into something like a 1050Ti single-fan version,

May 11, 2019
I have no idea whether such adapter exists, but if it was me, this is easy enough to fabricate. Have access to hardware store, got power tools, easy-peasy. :)
Yeah, I was considering that. I have a 3D printer, so I could model and print a bracket. My only concern is that the PC could get too hot and make the plastic droop/melt.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so long as the pc is not moved/bumped, then a single screw is likely enough. i have an old pc that has the hdd sitting on the bottom of the case, not even screwed in. i'd not suggest it, but so far no issues for me. but the case is not moved nor bumped.

if you can drill a single hole so the hdd gets 2 screws in the 2.5" area, that should be more than enough.

May 11, 2019
so long as the pc is not moved/bumped, then a single screw is likely enough. i have an old pc that has the hdd sitting on the bottom of the case, not even screwed in. i'd not suggest it, but so far no issues for me. but the case is not moved nor bumped.

if you can drill a single hole so the hdd gets 2 screws in the 2.5" area, that should be more than enough.
Yeah, to be honest, I had never even considered the idea of drilling a new hole, but i certainly would be able to do that. Thanks!

What is the max length for a graphics card?
You can get a GTX1660ti in 7.5"
https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=05932577-e4c4-4b99-8936-ae0a1a0a25a7
I think there is a GTX1060 mini that is 6.5"

I might suggest not using one of the cheap r570 mining cards, they generate lots of heat and it looks like your case is not so good on airflow.

And... Take a bit of time to clean the dust out of your cpu cooler.

May 11, 2019
What is the max length for a graphics card?
You can get a GTX1660ti in 7.5"
https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=05932577-e4c4-4b99-8936-ae0a1a0a25a7
I think there is a GTX1060 mini that is 6.5"

I might suggest not using one of the cheap r570 mining cards, they generate lots of heat and it looks like your case is not so good on airflow.

And... Take a bit of time to clean the dust out of your cpu cooler.
I had definitely considered a mini card, but most of the cards I've looked at for my price range don't have mini options (minus maybe the 1050Ti). And yes, when I open my PC next, I plan to dust. A lot.

PC could get too hot and make the plastic droop/melt.
Without sticking a temp probe in there I couldn't tell you, but typically people say don't run your HDD >50c and I don't hear special HD mounting requirement for temps, so that would be my number, I assume you can 3D print material of different temp ratings, something that can operate 70c would be good for me.

Will disagree with the other... I want all 4 screws on my HD 'cuz that thing vibrates. SSD, duct tape it fine.

May 11, 2019
Without sticking a temp probe in there I couldn't tell you, but typically people say don't run your HDD >50c and I don't hear special HD mounting requirement for temps, so that would be my number, I assume you can 3D print material of different temp ratings, something that can operate 70c would be good for me.

Will disagree with the other... I want all 4 screws on my HD 'cuz that thing vibrates. SSD, duct tape it fine.
Ok cool, at this point, drilling holes sounds easiest, but I have this as another option.

Pizza PowerXYZ

Commendable
Apr 28, 2019
I'm attempting to upgrade my graphics card in a pre-built computer, and I opened up the PC to make sure a graphics card would physically fit. As you can see in the images, the CD ROM is very obviously in the way of a larger card, but I plan on removing it (never used it) to make room, which I'm pretty sure is possible (haven't actually tried yet). The second issue that I have is that the 3.5" HDD would be cutting extremely close to some taller graphics cards. In the case, there are only 2 mounting slots. One for 3.5", and one for 2.5". Is there any way to mount a 3.5" HDD on a 2.5" slot? Is there some sort of adapter plate that I could use? Could I 3D print an adapter? If that's not possible, is there an alternative option, such as replacing the entire mounting plate of the case? Any advice and knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Inside case
Overview

Just ductape the hdd to the inside of the back where the wires are stored
That's where my 3.5"ssd is put into my 2.5" ssd slot