Mounting a fan...

G

I just purchased the AMD Duron 800Mhz proc along with the Abit KT7 mobo, and along with many others (so it seems) I had much difficulty snapping the fan to the proc. The proc actually has 4 soft tabs on top...should I have scraped those off before putting on the fan? Does the fan need to sit DIRECTLY on top of the proc, or will that TINY gap make a difference?

G

Don't scrape those four little pads off of the corners of the CPU, the heatsink needs to sit directly on top of the CPU, and yes, a gap between the heatsink and CPU will be detrimental to the CPU. What kind of Heatsink and Fan are you using? Sometimes it is best to mount the Heatsink and Fan to the CPU before mounting the board into the case. The four little pads of the CPU give stability to the heatsink and reduces vibration during shipping and reduces harmonics/vibrations created from a running fan of the heatsink.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The pads were added to Athlons/Durons to keep people from crushing a corner or edge of the die. They stablize the heatsink while you fasten the clip. Just hold the heatsink level on all 4 pads, line up the clip, fasten one side and then the other. Don't let the heatsink rock on one side.

G

Hi,

I dunno what kind of clip you fan has...
I'm using a GlobalWin FOP38 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_CPU_Coolers_2.html

This was a biatch to install, but I finally cracked it (not the core tho, luckily!)

I seated the fan squarely over the cpu, hooking the locating eye under the proper place on the socket, I then pressed the springy bar (not the flappy bit at the end of it) down with a pen (guided by hand incase of slippage) until it was compressed enough to fit under it's retaining clip (fair amount of pressure required). I was particularly careful not to press down too fast with the pen (and also when compressing the same clip to remove the heatsink) as this is when it can damage the tracks on the mobo.

The "flappy bit at the end" kept pinging off (grr) when I pressed it down with my fingers, which is why the pen on the springy bar idea came to me.

All I need now is a digital so I can take some pix :O( Hard to describe in text methinks

HTH

<font color=blue>Moots</font color=blue>