Mounting Bracket for Samsung Evo 850 SSD in Dell XPS 8900 case (desktop)

NeedHelp92

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Hello,

Currently I have a Western Digital 1TB HDD and decided to update to my first SSD. I am planning to get the Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB (2.5"), but my Dell XPS 8900 case only has 3 HDD slots(3.5"). It did not come with any extra screws and I am not sure which screws fit in the HDD compartments. I do plan to add a second SSD in the future so I am thinking of getting a dual mounting bracket. My only worry is that the bracket screws will not work for the case attachment.

If I must get single SSD mounting bracket:
https://www.amazon.ca/Mounting-Adapter-Bracket-Drive-Holder/dp/B00OCBB56Q/

If I can get a dual SSD mounting bracket:
https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-2-5-Inch-3-5-Inch-Mounting-BRACKET25X2/dp/B00FSVL95Q/

My HDD is glitching out really badly and I already backed up my data for a clean OS install, but the SSD slot/mounting bracket got me distressed. I just want a mounting bracket that will fit my case. All suggestions are welcome.

luketexas

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
Hi. You've already answered your own question in your original post. You can buy a one of the above linked SSD mounting brackets and they will slot directly into where the 3.5" drives currently sit.
Also, I would highly recommend ditching the Dell case altogether lol.

NeedHelp92

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016

What I meant was "will the screws that come with the mounting brackets for the case to hold tight in position?" As for the case, I do plan to change it but I will also need a motherboard and PSU with the new case. The mounting bracket screws compatibility with the dell case is what worries me. Don't want a lose component inside.

luketexas

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
The screw threads on the mounting bracket will line up exactly where the HDD screws would. It will be just like installing a 3.5" HDD..
Also Solid State hard drives arguably could be rotated while operating due to their solid state nature, thus It wouldn't really matter if for some reason you just had the SSD free standing on it's own in the case.
I'd be more worried about the SSD throttling it's performance due to insufficient cooling in that horrible OEM case.

NeedHelp92

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016

Thank you! Well then I will order the dual mounting bracket and slowly plan on a new motherboard for LGA 1151, case and a PSU .

luketexas

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015

No problem! Glad I could help. Don't forget to mark my answer as the solution :D

NeedHelp92

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016

This is in discussion format but I vouch your answer is the best solution

TRENDING THREADS