Mounting CPU tower cooler horizontally?

Chemz11

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Has anyone ever tried mounting their cooler horizontally? Any pros and cons about it?
Update: I mean't for the mount to be blowing upwards.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When you say horizontally... can you be more specific?

True desktop style case(bench style)? Tower style case?

Or are you just talking about the orientation of the fan?

Or a downdraft cooler versus a tower (rifle) cooler?

Do you mean blowing to rear or blowing up and out ?

Fan - Cooler - Fan

or

Fan
Cooler
Fan

Prolimatach did a test and their cooler did best and they showed about 2C difference with fans blowing to rear rather than up

I am assuming you mean the fans would move the air from the bottom out the top versus from the front of the case to the back.

I would for see cons being: reducing room for other components (depending on how large the heatsink + fan is), reduced temps.

You are probably going to want to stick with the time proven method of having the fan blow across the radiator from the front of the case to the back because it directs the air directly into your case exhaust fan, on top of the you aren't grabbing hot air coming right off your GPU.

I have actually on occasion be forced to go with fans blowing up on occasion exactly because of fit problems.... one instance I recall was Asus WS Board in Antec 1200 case with Thermalright Silver Arrow, .... installing to rear and as I recall the cooler hit the top GFX card