Mounting Seagate 6TB HDD (no center screws)

bencdawkins

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Seagate 6TB HDD as an expansion drive for my current rig, which is housed in a CM Storm Enforcer case. On unboxing, I noticed that the HDD did not have center mounting screws, which is causing a mounting issue with the OEM tool-free 3.5 to 5.25 mounting adapter brackets, which need that center screw for stability.

I've read quite a few other posts in this forum and elsewhere, and I'm considering trying a fastener (like a zip tie) or an adhesive (double-sided mounting tape, perhaps) to keep the drive stable. Basically, as long as I can get a good fit into the 5.25 bay and avoid any chances of the drive coming loose, I'll be pretty happy.

Any thoughts?

SortNVF

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
it shouldnt be vibrating badly anyways, so if you drop it at the bottom of the 5.25 box with a rubber disc, felt pad or O-ring at each cornor and zip tie it down, it should be as quiet as any adapter setup.

From there, just order a one piece adapter online and do it right eventually-

bencdawkins

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015

Thanks! This sounds like a good short term solution. Do you have a recommendation for a one piece adapter? I've done some research, and the ones I'm seeing seem more suited to mounting 2.5" SDDs in a 5.25 bay. 3.5" would work with some of these (notably the Orico AC52535), but reviews indicate that there might be poor airflow around a 3.5" HDD.

Thanks again.