[SOLVED] Mounting slim fans on radiators

w41g872

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
I am building a water cooling system for a small form factor case, and I am planning to use some slim fans to cool the radiators. Is it safe to use the screws for the normal fans? Won't the screws just be too long and break the radiator? Are there mounting screws specifically for slim fans? Also, are Noctua slim fans good choices for this use case?

Solution
Do what I do when I need to find new screws for radiator mounts: take the fans and radiator to the hardware store and find exact ones you need, including washers or standoffs.

Remember, it doesn't have to come in the box or bag with the radiator or fan....these are just screws...you can find them anywhere and in any size and length you wish.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The fans should come with screws designed for them, there's no real standard on slim fans, some I've seen are 11mm and some as high as 16mm.

But they'll all be the same, standard 6/32 thread, just whatever necessary length.

Yes, the Noctua are very good, there's really nothing that Noctua puts out that isn't. Everything they do is done after years of R&D and testing for the best. It took almost 20 years for Noctua to produce a 200mm fan, simply because the plastic used for the blades was too soft and flexed too much, and going with a harder plastic created too many issues with weight, looks, noise, performance.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Do what I do when I need to find new screws for radiator mounts: take the fans and radiator to the hardware store and find exact ones you need, including washers or standoffs.

Remember, it doesn't have to come in the box or bag with the radiator or fan....these are just screws...you can find them anywhere and in any size and length you wish.

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Depends, not necessarily for radiators, though, especially if you purchase the fans separately.

If you buy a fan, it will come with the coarse threaded case mounting screws, but not for the M4 screws for radiators unless the fans come with the radiator.