Question Mouse advice

slurmsmckenzie

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
Hi all, I'd really appreciate some advice on what to do next for a mouse. I used to have a basic HP 5-button wired mouse (BR376AA) which suited me fine and I liked having buttons on both sides (like the old MS Intellimouse) - I don't use a mouse for gaming (beyond point-and-click). I fancied moving to wireless though and after reading about the Logitech G Pro Wireless I was sold - it looked like a wireless Intellimouse and had buttons on both sides, great! I picked up a mint used example for £70 in 2019 and have been enjoying it since.

But I'm increasingly seeing thecommon Logitech double-click problem and it is getting really quite annoying, so I'd like to do something about it. I'm aware I could swap the main button switches but I haven't soldered much and my iron is buried deep in the loft somewhere. I could send it somewhere in the UK to have it done for me but it would end up costing the same as buying a new mouse.

In terms of what I'm looking for, as said I don't use a mouse for gaming really so I don't need mega high DPI or anything - my G Pro settings are 1100 dpi with a polling rate of 250. But here's the thing - I tried plugging my old HP mouse back in to see how that felt and although it was mainly fine I noticed that on the exact same surface as the G Pro it was much less accurate when trying to hover around something small by doing fine movements - it was much more jittery. But the HP says that it is 1200 dpi, so I'm kind of confused about why there would be a difference - is there more to reducing jitter than higher dpi?

Aside from not wanting to take a step back from the accuracy of the G Pro I'd also like to stay wireless, have a reasonably simple design with at least one button on each side and ideally not have to use bloated crapware to configure / use the thing (I'm thinking of Razer there). I kind of discounted both Logitech Superlights as they don't have buttons on both sides.

Any advice?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
New switches is probably the way to go.

Pretty much the only mouse available today I can think of that meets those requirements is the G Pro. I have one. There is also the lightweight version. Version 2 only has buttons on one side.

And most other symmetrical mice that are wireless tend to only have buttons for right handed people.

I am mostly right handed and have several G305 I use for work and other computing. But I like the Pro because I can use it left handed effectively when I feel like it.

Reactions: slurmsmckenzie

slurmsmckenzie

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
New switches is probably the way to go.

Pretty much the only mouse available today I can think of that meets those requirements is the G Pro. I have one. There is also the lightweight version. Version 2 only has buttons on one side.

And most other symmetrical mice that are wireless tend to only have buttons for right handed people.

I am mostly right handed and have several G305 I use for work and other computing. But I like the Pro because I can use it left handed effectively when I feel like it.
Thanks, I thought that might be the case! I guess I need to choose whether to send it off or dig out the soldering iron and try myself. In terms of which switches to swap in, the guides I've seen talk about Kailh GM 4 Reds - I wouldn't mind something that was a little harder to click TBH. When I first got the G Pro I was constantly activating the right button when I didn't mean to, just from the way I rested my finger on it with my standard grip. I realise I've adapted my grip to avoid this over the years - when I plugged my old HP back in I had to make an extra effort to press the buttons!

Have you changed the switches and/or had the double-click issue?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In the past with other Logitech models, yes. My G Pro is only about one or two years old.

I've generally just swapped in the same Omron switches that I found in there, not actually sure what switches are in this one, haven't needed to take it apart yet.