Question Mouse and keyboard keep freezing under load

Aug 15, 2022
Hi everybody,
when gaming (especially overwatch), my mouse and keyboard keep freezing for a second, but the game keeps running smooth. It usually starts 15-20min after I started gaming and won't stop until I close the game and wait a minute. I used OCCT to check my thermals, but they are fine as far as I can see. Nothing gets hotter than ~80°C. The problem persists no matter what mouse or keyboard I use, no matter what usb port I use, even bought a pci-e usb card, suspecting the controllers to overheat, but using it for my mouse and keyboard made the problem even worse.

I run Windows 11 pro 64 bit, all updates installed.
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING (Latest BIOS updated, v 2803)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3800 AM4 WOF
GPU: Gain10GB D6X RTX 3080 Phoenix
System SSD: 2TB 3.5/3.0 MP400 V2 PCIe M.2 CORSAIR
Memory: 32 GB DDR4 32GB (4x 8192MB) G.Skill RipJaws 4 schwarz DDR4-2400 DIMM CL15-15-15-35 Quad Kit
PSU: PSU 850 Watt Seasonic M12II-850

I overclocked nothing. Only BIOS changes I did were: Enablerd ASUS Performance Enhancement, Enabled SVM Mode and set Legay USB Support to Auto.

I'm pretty desperate, this problem persisted through months, and I run out of ideas.
Big thanks to everybody who helps

Forget about the PCI-E to USB card, I once connected the mouse to one of the USB 3.0 on the card, the mouse's cursor is sometimes out of control.

I would stick with USB 2.0 ports when it comes to mouse/keyboard.

However, as it only happens when you are gaming, it's hard to blame the computer...

Aug 15, 2022
Hi lvt!
Thanks for your reply! I'm not entirely certain what you are recommending to me. I tried different USB Ports, even different mice and keyboards.

Aug 15, 2022
Hello people of the future with the same problem:
Turns out my motherboard was broken. On a whim, and because of desperation I just ordered another motherboard from MSI, and the problems disappeared.

I mean, of course the new one has broken Bluetooth module and TPM is not recognized for some reason, but those issues can at least be worked around without compromise.