[SOLVED] Mouse and Keyboard not working on windows 7

Mar 31, 2021
I know this has been posted a bunch. I have read through a BUNCH of forums and Microsoft support questions on this and nothing has worked, yet. My mom wanted a pc upgrade recently because the one she has been using couldn't keep up with tabs and applications open. So, I had upgraded her build with a new Bios (UD A320M-S2H rev.3), cpu (AMD Athlon 3000G) 16 gb of Ram (G.Skill). That's pretty much everything for the upgrade. Now, I had installed all of that without a hitch and as soon as I enter Windows 7 my mouse and keyboard do not do anything, In the Bios they worked perfectly fine. I updated my Bios to the most recent version (F2), I tried the P2 connection to no avail, Turned off legacy support on and off too. She has work files on the drive so, I am not trying to create a new disc image and re install files or anything that might cause files to be deleted. At this point I think it is the windows 7 drivers for USB that need to be installed on to the MOBO but which ones and where from.

Solution
The only way i know of to get windows 7 to work on new computers is to slipstream USB drivers into the installation of a new install. Ive never see or heard of it being done after as you need keyboard and mouse which dont work.
-that is correct.

For those who don't know what "slipstream" is (because "-stream" is a bit misleading):
In short, it's the process of "updating" existing Windows installation (ISO) file.
As we know, every installation file already contains hundreds of drivers. However drivers for new USB chip is missing in Windows7 ISO (because that exact chips didn't exist at that time).
There are many tutorials (step-by-step) on how to slipstream ISO, but general description would be:
-get Windows ISO file,
-get...
The easiest thing would be to buy another drive and install windows 10 on it, then plug your windows 7 OS drive in as a secondary and pull all her work files off onto that.

You could try and put the drive back in the old computer and download the usb drivers for the new motherboard and install them, then move the drive over to the new computer. Note windows 7 really doesnt like to be moved from one computer to another, windows 10 does a far better job at this.

The only way i know of to get windows 7 to work on new computers is to slipstream USB drivers into the installation of a new install. Ive never see or heard of it being done after as you need keyboard and mouse which dont work.

-that is correct.

For those who don't know what "slipstream" is (because "-stream" is a bit misleading):
In short, it's the process of "updating" existing Windows installation (ISO) file.
As we know, every installation file already contains hundreds of drivers. However drivers for new USB chip is missing in Windows7 ISO (because that exact chips didn't exist at that time).
There are many tutorials (step-by-step) on how to slipstream ISO, but general description would be:
-get Windows ISO file,
-get necessary drivers (for USB 3.0 in this case)
-"unpack" ISO file on your disk
-add necessary drivers
-"pack" result into new ISO file
No special software is needed for that -all what you need (DISM.exe) is already in Windows.
After that you create bootable ISO on USB flash drive and that's it.

Solution
Mar 31, 2021
The easiest thing would be to buy another drive and install windows 10 on it, then plug your windows 7 OS drive in as a secondary and pull all her work files off onto that.

You could try and put the drive back in the old computer and download the usb drivers for the new motherboard and install them, then move the drive over to the new computer. Note windows 7 really doesnt like to be moved from one computer to another, windows 10 does a far better job at this.

I will try your second method, I already had been moving hardware around with windows 7 and the OS has been fine. But how do I know where to get the specific drivers? I can't just update it in device manager because the old mobo doesn't need anything new. I need to manually find it.

Mar 31, 2021
-that is correct.

-get Windows ISO file,
-get necessary drivers (for USB 3.0 in this case)
-"unpack" ISO file on your disk
-add necessary drivers
-"pack" result into new ISO file
No special software is needed for that -all what you need (DISM.exe) is already in Windows.
After that you create bootable ISO on USB flash drive and that's it.
I will look further into it and see if I can resolve it this way. I will update.

haven't tried win7 on a modern AMD but their drivers make no mention of needing to slipstream them into the ISO
To clarify, we're not talking about chipset drivers -it's about driver for USB.
If you look at motherboards specs, all of them support Windows10 only (for last 5 years or so). And the only reason (to my knowledge) is missing USB drivers in Windows7 ISO. These drivers needed to be installed during the Windows installation process -without them Windows install process will break at first restart (because install routine won't see USB flash drive anymore).
I hope that's what you have meant.

At that time, when these boards hit the market, Microsoft could easily publish updated Windows 7 ISO -which would solve problems for many users. But we all remember how hard Microsoft was "pushing" Windows 10 (wishing Windows 7 to die).

popatim

Titan
Intel definitely only supports Win10 on its boards but AMD still supports Win7 on all but its last 2 gen boards (400 &500 series).
See for yourself - https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-3x/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

USB3 is generally built into the chipset now and has been for a while though many boards still add in a 3rd party chip for even more ports.
All USB ports are under bios control until an OS loads. This is why you can boot up a Win7 install USB and it will work fine up until the first reboot; as evidenced by the OP's post.

Win7 has an option to install additional drivers, I wonder if the USB drivers can be loaded here. Too bad I don't have an AMD board to play with at the moment. No one really wants Win7 anymore since many new apps & games are W10 only.