Mouse and Keyboard Stutter Every 5 Seconds

C0gnition

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Hi everyone,

So I've been using an Asus ROG G55VW Laptop for the past 3 years, and just recently the keyboard and mouse have begun to stutter/lag every couple of seconds. Games and programs all run fine, it's just the mouse and keyboard that seem to cut out periodically. I've tried lots of different things to fix it, but it really has me stumped.

I've tried:
1. Updating all the drivers.
2. Reformatting (I tried both a clean Windows 7 64bit installation and I tried a Puppy Linux flash boot. Both had the stutter)
3. Updating the bios.
4. Changing windows boot settings

But since the stutter seems to appear in both Windows and Linux I'm beginning to think it's a hardware issue and not a software issue. The reason I posted in the components thread is that I think it may have to do with the laptop battery; which is currently beginning to fail. Over the last few months its ability to hold a charge has slowly decreased to zero, and now the laptop must be plugged in to run. Could this possibly be causing the stutter? I'm reluctant to shell out $80 for a new battery because it seems strange to me that the battery/PSU could be causing this problem.

C0gnition

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Figured it out myself!

Turns out that the problem was the battery. So, I pulled out my battery and tried running my laptop without a battery inserted. Not only did this fix the stutter, but now the laptop seems to be running 10x faster than it used to.

Still gotta shell out the money for a new battery though :/