Question Mouse and keyboard suddenly stopped working

Apr 13, 2019
Hi guys,

So something weird happened yesterday. I was working on Excel and suddenly my keyboard stopped typing. I've got a Microsoft Designer mouse and keyboard, both wireless. The mouse was working, so I thought I'd turn it off and on again. Both stopped working then. I tried plugging a wired mouse and keyboard then. No response. Tried with a USB stick. No response. The system seemed to be working though, as my Bluetooth earphones would connect and the music was still playing.
So I just manually shut my PC down and on again and everything was working fine then.
I'm a little concerned though. Do you think it's a software or hardware issue? I built my own PC a month ago and everything has been working fine and smooth. I initially thought it was a driver issue since I had updated my Bluetooth and wireless drivers the day earlier, but the USB ports weren't responding either so what gives? 😢

My built:
Mobo: Asus Z390 Gaming-Plus WiFi
CPU: Intel i7 9700K
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti Asus Phoenix
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
Case: Cooler Master H500
Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4
Windows 10 Pro

Thank you so much for your help. I just hope it won't happen again but it's too soon to tell... I really hope it's not a hardware issue though.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with "glitch".

But have you tried putting new batteries in the wireless keyboard and mouse?

Especially if they came with "batteries included". Usually cheap and low end batteries that just do not last....

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS