Question Mouse and keyboard suddenly stopped working

Apr 13, 2019
Hi guys,

So something weird happened yesterday. I was working on Excel and suddenly my keyboard stopped typing. I've got a Microsoft Designer mouse and keyboard, both wireless. The mouse was working, so I thought I'd turn it off and on again. Both stopped working then. I tried plugging a wired mouse and keyboard then. No response. Tried with a USB stick. No response. The system seemed to be working though, as my Bluetooth earphones would connect and the music was still playing.
So I just manually shut my PC down and on again and everything was working fine then.
I'm a little concerned though. Do you think it's a software or hardware issue? I built my own PC a month ago and everything has been working fine and smooth. I initially thought it was a driver issue since I had updated my Bluetooth and wireless drivers the day earlier, but the USB ports weren't responding either so what gives? 😢

My built:
Mobo: Asus Z390 Gaming-Plus WiFi
CPU: Intel i7 9700K
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti Asus Phoenix
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
Case: Cooler Master H500
Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4
Windows 10 Pro

Thank you so much for your help. I just hope it won't happen again but it's too soon to tell... I really hope it's not a hardware issue though.

Last edited: