Mouse buttons stops working ~10s after windows starts

JesuZ

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Hello all. I've run into one of weirdest problems that I've ever seen so far. After restarting my computer, after couple of seconds after windows is loaded, my mouse buttons stops working completely. Neither left or right mouse button works (or register clicks).

What makes this really interesting and challenging is:
- Mouse moves normally, so USB connection is intact
- Mouse buttons works well immediately after windows first loads up
- Keyboard works fine

So far I've tried following things to solve this problem:
- Remove all mouse drivers from device manager and unplug/plug mouse back in -> Doesn't help
- Tried to reboot windows -> Doesn't help
- Tried to move mouse USB into another USB port -> Doesn't help

So, I've managed to solve problem by restoring my day before disk backup on OS disk (daily automatic backups), and that basically solves the problem, which I consider so damn weird since I haven't installed anything new into computer in couple of days so everything SHOULD be just like yesterday.

I'm running:
- Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
- Intel I7-6800K
- EVGA GTX 1080
- Logitech G710+ keyboard
- Logitech G502 mouse

Any ideas which could cause this kind of behavior, or either where to start look for solution to this (instead of recovering from backup) woul be highly appreciated!

Solution
clean boot will tell you if its a start up program like geforce exp as it stops everything apart from windows from loading. Start up isn't instant, it takes a while for everything to load up. My AV is usually the last thing to show, for instance. even on an ssd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you mean before or after login screen?

wish i had noticed that you had fixed it before writing an answer...

Perhaps one of your start up programs had gotten an update that isn't currently reinstalled now? If it happens again, try doing a clean boot - make sure to read instructions carefully and NOT close all Microsoft services - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

There has been a new version of LGS but its from March 23, not sure if software auto updates though - http://support.logitech.com/en_us/software/lgs

No way to tell if you had gotten a windows update yesterday since you used backup to roll it all back. I don't know if Store updates might include LGS as well. I can't tell which version I have

JesuZ

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Yeah the weird thing is that I've disabled my Windows Updates by default, so I manually install updates. That kind of rules out chance that some windows update would have messed the mouse.

I think I'll have to try clean boot after problem next time occurs, even thou, I kind of doubt it because mouse works couple seconds after windows loads to desktop.

I've been thinking could it be some issue with maybe GeForce Experience overlay or something, that in transparent way blocks the mouse click access to anything on the screen, but allows mouse move and keyboard work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
clean boot will tell you if its a start up program like geforce exp as it stops everything apart from windows from loading. Start up isn't instant, it takes a while for everything to load up. My AV is usually the last thing to show, for instance. even on an ssd.

Solution