Mouse clicks in and out

Apr 6, 2018
When I try to type in a field (url, search, email body, online form etc.) My curser stops blinking and my computer clicks me out of the field and then back in. When I click somewhere to type I can see the curser blink a few times, then stop, then blink again. So, when I type, then look at what I typed....there are missing letters and spaces. It's as if my mouse clicks in and out of the field as I type. If I type a url, it will take a few letters, then the field turns blue as if I selected it to cut and paste or delete, then it goes back to normal blinking after the last character to finish typing. Any ideas?
I am using a Dell notebook/mousepad.

Solution
Out on a limb here, but see if Dell has a newer driver for the touchpad, if they do, install it (no need to remove existing driver as it will be overwritten with new driver files).

You can check currently installed version in Device Manager so you can check it against version on Dell support site.

Might not make any difference but worth a try - - even re-installing the same version you already have has been known to fix some device issues, certainly that's been my experience.
Try an external mouse.
Chances are your touch pad or built-in mouse buttons are freaking out (did you spill anything around there?).
If that resolves it, try re-installing the touchpad/keyboard driver, and if to no avail, you can try cleaning those contacts (You'd have to Google that, and only do it if you are comfortable understanding the process).
I would also download and run MalwareBytes (free) to rule out some demonic possession.

Apr 6, 2018
Hello and thanks for responding.
Yup, I have tried all that, nothing changed. Well, I have not been under the keys to clean contacts (nothing has spilled and it is pretty new and clean. Maybe I'll try it) but I have done the rest.
It's driving me crazy.
Thank you again.

Out on a limb here, but see if Dell has a newer driver for the touchpad, if they do, install it (no need to remove existing driver as it will be overwritten with new driver files).

You can check currently installed version in Device Manager so you can check it against version on Dell support site.

Might not make any difference but worth a try - - even re-installing the same version you already have has been known to fix some device issues, certainly that's been my experience.

Solution