Mouse clicks not registering every time

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishLuck777

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
I am having the weirdest problem with my mouse and can't seem to find a solution. when I try to click on things about 1/3 of the time nothing registers. I have tried 2 different mice on multiple usb ports and still the same issue (both mice work on other pc). I tried to update the device drivers and that didn't do anything either. I'm starting to lean towards it being a motherboard issue but am not great with this sort of thing. any input would be much appreciated. thanks

Solution
Deadromon,
Why do you keep suggesting he get another mouse when he has two already that work on another PC? There is no point, and again he can also test in the BIOS to further see if it's a motherboard hardware issue.

Other:
1) DISABLE anti-virus (don't uninstall, just disable.. possibly right-click in lower system tray and find disable option or whatever).

2) can also use MSCONFIG (start) then click "Diagnostic Startup" etc so when you reboot if things work fine again it's a software issue

3) if actual VIRUS yes Malwarebytes or similar may help fix.

4) Task Manager-> see what CPU usage is-> if it's really HIGH (100%?) due to virus or other reason you may have difficulty registering clicks

Deadromon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
Welp, you probably have connection errors with your mouse. Or gunk inside your mouse. Make sure that your mouse is firmly attached to the USB port, and try switching it around. Then make sure that the mouse itself works. A way to test to see if its a problem w/ mouse or w/ computer is to go buy a cheap 5$ mouse, and see if it works. If it does, without the problem, then you need a new mouse (and look at that, you already have one). If not, then its most likely a problem with software. It could also be a type of malware.

Article detailing computer cleanup. In it will tell you ways to check your pc for virus and malware for free.
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000179.htm

Read his post again. Two different mice verified on a different PC.

You can easily verify if it's a USB hardware issue (unlikely) by just booting into the BIOS and using.

Clicking just sends a signal, so if you can move the mouse with no obvious delay every time then I don't see how it could be a motherboard issue.

Assuming that works then it's thus a WINDOWS and/or driver installation issue (but definitely software).

At that point I'm not sure, but maybe DELETE any drivers then reinstall them.

Is this just SINGLE CLICK or DOUBLE CLICK?

Double click has settings in the mouse software that may be set too high/fast.

Deadromon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015

Oi, 1), why u following me. 2 )and what I mean is you unplug the first mouse to test the port... I thought that was implied. But since there is confusion I will put it in steps

Steps :
Get new cheap 5$ mouse form some place
Come home, unplug your current mouse
Check to see if new mouse works and is registering
If not, the issue w/ computer or malware, if it is, the it was an issue with the old mouse
[Cont for Malwere]
Go to Malwarebytes (https://www.malwarebytes.com/) use free 1 week premium version to scan for malware
If found, get rid of.
If it no fix go to Housecall (https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html)
Its free
Download and let it do its thing.
If anything found, get rid of it.

By this point it should be solved.

IrishLuck777

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
so far its both single and double click issue. sometimes i have to click 5x in a row on a tab to get it to open or to get a program to run. all the drivers were up to date but ill try to delete and reinstall them

SPECIFICALLY what doesn't work or is it random/everything?

I have had issues at times with the Start Menu, Taskbar, Edge browser becoming unresponsive but it wasn't my mouse that was problematic.

It can even be a VIRUS issue.

If it's fairly RECENT then try this:

1) Open System Restore (type "restore" to start and click "create a restore point")
2) create a Restore Point
3) now open the NEWEST point that's BEFORE the problem started (if you have one)

If the problem goes away good though you may lose some installed programs. At that point you can either:
a) roll back to the Restore Point you just created to try and solve the issue, or
b) install the missing programs (write the list as you see it first too)

Deadromon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015

Are other actions like typing and such also lagging? If so, it could be a CPU issue w/ overheating. It sounds like you might have something messed up w/ your PC itself. I suggest CUPID HWMonitor. It's a free software that allows you to monitor your PC temp. It is useful in telling if something is overheating. If the issue if overheating, downloading Afterburner and setting the fan setting to a higher % would fix that.

Deadromon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015

If its a virus issue, why not get rid of the virus/malware? I suggested multiple stuff above to help with virus/malware. I personally think it would be easier to deal with an install than a reset, since a reset (or rewind) will take more time [ushualy]

Deadromon,
Why do you keep suggesting he get another mouse when he has two already that work on another PC? There is no point, and again he can also test in the BIOS to further see if it's a motherboard hardware issue.

Other:
1) DISABLE anti-virus (don't uninstall, just disable.. possibly right-click in lower system tray and find disable option or whatever).

2) can also use MSCONFIG (start) then click "Diagnostic Startup" etc so when you reboot if things work fine again it's a software issue

3) if actual VIRUS yes Malwarebytes or similar may help fix.

4) Task Manager-> see what CPU usage is-> if it's really HIGH (100%?) due to virus or other reason you may have difficulty registering clicks

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS