MOUSE CONVERTOR WON'T WORK

cyberbart

Distinguished
May 16, 2001
I just bought a new Logitech PS/2 - USB Wheel Mouse. But because I have an old pc without any PS/2 of USB-ports, I had to buy a convertor from a PS/2 port to a serial connection. But when I tested it on my pc, I recognized that stupid convertor wouldn't work at all. I tested my Logitech mouse on my father's pc, and there were no problems, because he had PS/2 and USB connections. I also tried it with the convertor, but I had the same result than with mine. I went to the computershop where I bought that stupid convertor and now they say it will not work at all. Why do they make than such a stupid thing like this????

What could I do to use my mouse? Are there some convertors who will work well or are there interfaces with PS/2 ports on it, and what is their price. I could also buy an new motherboard, but that is a bit expensive.

- Bart

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
Well i just got a new Intellimouse explorer and its converter works just fine

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Logitec has their own PS/2 to 9-pin serial converters. Any 9-pin serial converter is not garunteed to work with any newer mice. You actually need to look for a serial mouse or one that includes a converter.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

I recommend buying an external USB Hub.

<font color=blue>"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981</font color=blue>

G

Whoops! Sorry, i misunderstood.
But you can still buy a PCI to USB Adapter for less than 15 bucks.

<font color=blue>"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe, but I did not mention it because some early boards with USB headers had them disabled in BIOS because of a design issue with some earlier chipsets.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine