Question Mouse cursor changes playing certain games

Sep 23, 2023
When I start a certain game my mouse cursor changes to some sort of block with lines.
Using: Logitech Mx master 3

Tried:
Change cursor in windows
Turn off night mode
different mouse (wired)
Reinstall mouse drivers
Reinstall graphics card drivers
Reinstall steam and games

Please help me fix this problem it is becoming quite annoying ty.
Media: (SCP5k)
Image of cursor
Video of cursor

Last edited:
Solution
Both games and steam, also cleared the appdata

No they are not.

Just now I had it with a OperaGx youtube window open, closing this put my cursor back? weird never had this happen with gx though.

Yes I do and reinstalled and checked driver updates.

Using the normal windows cursor though. I will see if I can find anything of this happening.
Think I might have found the culprit, Mouse pointer shadow... turning it off solved my mouse turning into a block. I find it quite weird why a shadow would do what it did, but at least its fixed sort of.
Sep 23, 2023
only this one specific game?

the majority of games out there use their own built-in mouse cursor.
if this one game's cursor is corrupted try to either reinstall the game or verify integrity through the game distributor(Steam, GOG Galaxy, Epic Launcher, etc).

Well I found it to be the most common in the game called SCP5k but it also happened in Phasmophobia and Beamng drive. They all come from the steam installer (steam and games) but after reinstalling the cursor still changes into the same block.

after reinstalling the cursor still changes into the same block.
after reinstalling only Steam itself?
the games' data would still be unaffected on your system if not also verified and/or totally reinstalled.

if the games have also been totally removed and reinstalled this would definitely be an odd situation though.

do you have any of the Logitech mouse setup software installed?
i've seen options to use custom cursors in-game through some similar applications.
if something like this may be enabled by default it could cause something similar.
SCP5k but it also happened in Phasmophobia and Beamng drive
these aren't all released from the same game developer are they?

Sep 23, 2023
after reinstalling only Steam itself?
the games' data would still be unaffected on your system if not also verified and/or totally reinstalled.

if the games have also been totally removed and reinstalled this would definitely be an odd situation though.

i've seen options to use custom cursors in-game through some similar applications.
if something like this may be enabled by default it could cause something similar.

No they are not.

Just now I had it with a OperaGx youtube window open, closing this put my cursor back? weird never had this happen with gx though.
Using the normal windows cursor though. I will see if I can find anything of this happening.

Sep 23, 2023

No they are not.

Think I might have found the culprit, Mouse pointer shadow... turning it off solved my mouse turning into a block. I find it quite weird why a shadow would do what it did, but at least its fixed sort of.

Solution
Sep 23, 2023
when you run one of the previously affected games now are they using your default Windows cursor or a different one supplied by the game?
They would be using the windows cursor, looked into the Logitech options but could not find a cursor change option.

definitely weird that multiple games and apps would experience an issue like this when i've never seen it mentioned.
Exactly, I might need to reinstall windows if I want the cursor shadow.

for now I have no problems with the cursor changing anymore, had a 1080 before my current gpu which had the same problem but a smaller scale block so less bothersome.