Mouse Cursor Problem (Gamdias Ourea) (USB Laser Mouse)

Garex

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
So I've got this problem where if I'm using a program/application (usually in games), The mouse cursor will just suddenly and randomly slowly move to the top left corner of the screen, disregarding mouse inputs along the X,Y axis's. It still recognizes right and left button mouse clicks and after a seemingly random amount of time, the darned thing will go back to functioning as normal. Scroll wheel also functions as intended based on what it does either in the game or on the website. I've tried checked MOBO Bios and drivers, Updated the OS (Win 10), gone to the manufacturer's site (Gamdias) and updated the firmware. Turned off enhanced pointer precision (when it's on it seems to increase the frequency of the mouse just suddenly getting a mind of it's own.) de-fragmented and cleaned up both my SSD (where the mouse and OS data is stored, as well as the HDD where I keep the games and non-essential programs). I've also uninstalled the Win 10 HID mouse driver and then rebooted the entire PC so that windows will reinstall said driver, performed full system rootkit and malware scans with clean results. I've tried everything I can think of without buying a new mouse and it only seems to happen on my User Account on the PC. (My family also uses this desktop on occasion but claim that the mouse doesn't display the issue whenever they use it). The mouse I use is a Gamdias Ourea USB Laser mouse set to 3200 DPI on Windows 10 OS. MSI X99 motherboard. I've checked that the mouse is plugged in all the way as well.

I've also noticed that whatever program I am using still recognizes that the mouse cursor is indeed moving and it responds accordingly, map-edge scrolling, Camera movement ect ect. Just can't figure out what I need to do in order to get mouse functionality back to normal.

Cerberus_tm

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Perhaps this is stupid, but have you tried using different surfaces, like a different mouse mat, different table?

Have you tried cleaning the sensor (carefully!)? Sometimes tracking gets weird when there is a hair in the sensor.

Garex

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015

First off, thank you for your suggestions. In response to you're queries, I have tried using a single sheet of regular printer paper to give the mouse a different surface to detect. This did not fix the problem. I don't use a mousepad, never have in truth. The surface I use is just the bare desk and given that my PC is my primary form of entertainment, I have, understandably, worn down the desk's black finish and smoothed it over just by natural movement of the mouse, well parts of it. Its kind of spotty looking...the desk i mean. ANYWAYS, this has been the case for many months before the mouse issue arose and the mouse was working just fine. I don't know how to get at the sensor itself as it seems to have a cover which I just wiped off gently with my plush blanket so we'll see how that goes. Beyond that, I have tried pretty much everything that I can think of besides upping the mouse's voltage (no idea how to do that) and getting a new mouse (trying to avoid just throwing money at the problem). A system restore might work but i'd rather not go back however many months its been and download all the data over once more, not to mention the save data i'd need for my games.

Cerberus_tm

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

That sounds like a complicated problem! I wish I could help you, but I'm out of ideas.

As to a system restore, you could do something better. Create a bootable USB drive with an operating system on it, like Puppy Linux. Then boot from the USB drive and test whether the mouse works in Linix. If it works properly, then you know there is something wrong with your Windows. If it behaves the same way as in Windows, you know it's the mouse. If it doesn't work at all, then you'd need some Linux drivers for your mouse or something.