Mouse cursor shaking when I move mouse fast

zhangsteven15

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
I just got a new mouse, but when I move the mouse very fast in any direction, the cursor doesn't move in the direction I want it to, instead it stays put and shakes. Sometimes it even goes in the opposite direction! This happens in games too, which is a big deal in FPS games like CS:GO. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Every optical mouse sensor has a maximum tracking speed, which is rather important for gamers. See, the sensor is actually a digital camera, that continuously takes pictures of your mousemat. It compares how far the image has moved between pictures to know how far to move the cursor, but if nothing matches (because you have moved the mouse too quickly between pictures), then the cursor doesn't move. Someone benchmarked mice back in the early days of optical here, and some sensors just take pictures more often.

Linear control all the way to the maximum 154" per second the test could measure was pretty impressive for the MX300 and MX500.
Please make sure: you installed the proper software, clean the mouse pad/surface, blow the eye out on the mouse with compressed air, Try a different mouse pad/surface as some mice do not read well on some surfaces.

EDIT: also be sure the mouse is plugged into a USB 2.0 port and not a USB 3.0.

zhangsteven15

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Ok, thanks!

zhangsteven15

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

I tried all the solutions you mentioned, but none of them worked. Any other suggestions?

Every optical mouse sensor has a maximum tracking speed, which is rather important for gamers. See, the sensor is actually a digital camera, that continuously takes pictures of your mousemat. It compares how far the image has moved between pictures to know how far to move the cursor, but if nothing matches (because you have moved the mouse too quickly between pictures), then the cursor doesn't move. Someone benchmarked mice back in the early days of optical here, and some sensors just take pictures more often.

Linear control all the way to the maximum 154" per second the test could measure was pretty impressive for the MX300 and MX500.

Solution

Phobos9703

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
What mouse you re using? Thats common is Laser mouses and it has to do with Mouse Acceleration which you can't avoid in Laser mouse thus why for FPS games its recommended to use optical mouse.

Laser mice are optical mice, just with a laser for illumination instead of LED. The more coherent light source makes even tiny imperfections show with better contrast, which is why they work on visibly smooth surfaces like glass.

Yes, laser sensors do tend to be more flawed, with more "enhancements" like prediction/angle snapping and the mentioned acceleration built-in, and especially more infuriating issues with the cursor moving when the mouse is picked up off the mat.

Low sens gamers (who prefer low DPI and moving the mouse further) hoard the old MS iE 3.0 and Wheel Mouse Optical v1.1 which have flawless sensors that take 6000 images/sec, but track at only 40" per second. You can see from the linked test that if you move faster than this it starts to not move the cursor any faster at first, then the cursor starts to move backwards. Despite this they are widely preferred for FPS gaming even today.