Mouse disconnecting and reconnecting randomly while gaming

gmod92

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
As the title says, my mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting randomly. It lasts for about a second then it reconnects. Sometimes it stops working entirely and I have to unplug and replug the mouse in order for it to start working again. When I do that, windows displays a message that says that my mouse malfunctioned.

This rarely happens when I do non-demanding tasks like browse the internet. It happens more often when I'm playing games.

I've read a lot of forum posts, and it seems most likely that my mouse is not receiving enough power. About a week ago, I bought a new processor along with a new PSU, motherboard and RAM, but I don't think this has anything to do with the problem since it started happening around a week before that.

So my question is: How do I check if my mouse is indeed not receiving enough power? Or do you think there's something else wrong? I do not have another computer or another mouse, so switching setups might be difficult.

Things I've tried: Changing power-saving modes. Reinstalling drivers. Changing USB-port. Switching cords.

Specs:

Mouse: Steelseries Rival 700
Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO
Processor: Intel Core i5-8600K @ 3.60GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB
PSU: Corsair CX-M Series CX550M

I've heard Rival mouses have this kind of problems, so it's quite possible you got faulty mouse.
As for possibility of mouse not getting enough power, unless you have really a lot of USB devices connected, not likely option.
Do you have Steelseries Engine 3 installed and updated to newest version 3.11.11?

gmod92

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Thanks for responding!

The issues recently started happening and I've had the mouse for about half a year. Could it still be a faulty mouse? Steelseries Engine 3 is also updated to the latest version.

Of course it can. Things can break after variable amount of time. If you had the mouse working fine, and now it's not fine, there are only two possibilities: failing hardware (and by testing various USB ports you limit that to mouse only) or software problem. The latter is possible, but I hardly see anything that could cause mouse to disconnect. Best way to test the former would be to try the mouse in another machine (local friends with computers required). If the problem appears on another machine, that pretty much confirms mouse fault.

gmod92

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Ok, I guess I'll have to try the mouse on a different computer. The thing that seems weird is how it very very rarely happens when I'm not gaming, which indicates to me that it's not a hardware issue. But I don't know enough about mice to confirm that.

TRENDING THREADS