Question Mouse doesn't charge in S5 mode ?

Aug 1, 2022
Hi all,
I have an Alienware Aurora R4 on win 10 and until a year ago it would charge my Ouroboros Razer mouse when the pc was shut down. I used the mouse with wire and without battery for a year because there was an issue with it charging when pc was on or off. I fixed the issue for when pc is on which seems was due to a “suspend usb” option in windows power management settings (i used to have power at deep sleep but the mouse wouldn’t charge and it would blink 3 lights continuously ).
but now it wont charge it when the pc is off.

bios is set to supply power in S5 mode (haven't changed it).
Its plugged to the same port which was charging it before (usb 3 ss at the back of the case)
Tried other usb 2 ports
I have disabled fast boot option.
tried disconnecting my other usb devices ( keyboard and Bluetooth dongle) which were connected to the ports above the mouse.

Yet the problem still remains.

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

= = = =

Will the mouse charge on another known working computer?

Or some other available charging device meeting the required specs?

Will other devices properly charge on your computer?

Key is to determine if the charging problem(s) follow the mouse or stay with your computer.

Reactions: Amir_Fo
Aug 1, 2022
Thank you for responding.

my build i Alienware Aurora R4, age is around 10 years, 850 w, original build.

the mouse charges fine when pc is on. but it isnt charging when its off.
other devices also charge when pc is on but not when its off.
since the mouse charges fine when pc is on shouldnt there be an issue with power supply in deep sleep S5 state?
i will try to disconnect mouse and connect my phone and then shut down to see if changes.

Edit: tried it and pc doesnt give power to phone after shut down

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Were there any mouse driver updates?

Perhaps some automated process that installed the wrong drivers, was buggy, got corrupted.

Consider reinstalling the mouse drivers via manual download direct from the manufacturers website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

No third party tools or installers,

Take a look in Reliability History, Event Viewer, and Update History.

Look for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occurred just before or at the time that pc charging stopped.

Try running the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Reactions: Amir_Fo
Aug 1, 2022
I ran both command and there want any issue.
went through event viewer and reliability history but nothing worth noting.

however i tried to revert the changes i made.. enabled the usb selective suspend and enabled fast boot option which were the cause of pc not charging while on) and also enabled hidden drivers in device manager and deleted all the drivers for my mouse and keyboard.
now its charging while the pc is on and off.

Dont know what the isue was but its working now. if you have an idea what the causes was i'd appreciate your input so i can fully understand my issue. it wasnt the driver because i did try to shut down after removing and reinstalling them but charging only worked for a few econds after shut down and then stopped.