Mouse doesn't work in any USB port

4sdf

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I have a new pc, and a friend help me to build it. The thing is that it doesn't recognize any mouse in any USB port, but they work perfect with any other thing. I don't know what to do, i haven't installed any driver yet, except the video card drivers. I tried to install the motherboard drivers but i can't do it without a mouse. I would really aprecciate if someone knows how to fix this :)

System Specs:
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 500w
CPU:AMD A10-5800K
HDD: Toshiba Hard Drive 1TB
RAM: 2x2gb Corsair DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD7770
MOBO: ECS A55F2-M3

Solution
Can you see if it is at least detected? you can check in device manager, I know it is different to navigate without a mouse so hold START + R to bring up RUN then type "devmgmt.msc" and hit enter.

Once in the Device Manager, hit TAB once then use the down arrow to navigate to "mice and other pointing devices" and use the right arrow to see what shows up.

you may also want to enable legacy usb support in the bios as well(and if you have a newer (E)UFI based bios see if the mouse works in that).

You have a problem I have never seem before(I mean it NEVER worked right.).

4sdf

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

No, I don't have tried it in another computer, but I have tried with 2 different mice, and none of them worked. :??:

Can you see if it is at least detected? you can check in device manager, I know it is different to navigate without a mouse so hold START + R to bring up RUN then type "devmgmt.msc" and hit enter.

Once in the Device Manager, hit TAB once then use the down arrow to navigate to "mice and other pointing devices" and use the right arrow to see what shows up.

you may also want to enable legacy usb support in the bios as well(and if you have a newer (E)UFI based bios see if the mouse works in that).

You have a problem I have never seem before(I mean it NEVER worked right.).

Solution

4sdf

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Sorry for the late answer to your comment, i tried the thing that you say and the mouse is detected in the device manager, but still not working :(

I just bought another mouse and it worked well in any USB port, so i think it was only bad luck with the other 2 mice, haha :)

Thanks for your help :D

Glad you got it working.

For future reference you can also use a accessibility feature called mouse keys that allows the num pad to move the mouse and click :)

Used to use it back in the Win95 days(worked better then because it was faster over the low res screens of the day). Had to use it recently when the AMD driver package installed a "USB filter" that made ALL ports on a board stop working for ANYTHING. good thing I have some PS2 keyboards.

vlmem10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
Bringing back OLD POST :D .

Windows 7 would not detect mouse on any USB port, the same mouse works on other PC windows 7, another mouse (using/running on other PC) were connected, but still this freaking PC would not recognise where it can detect all other thumb-drives, printers, Portable Disk.

System restore and windowsImageBackup restore did not solve the issue.

Please help

Ensure your board has the latest chipset drivers(from your board makers site) and maybe reset the bios in case something got changed.

If all else fails, It may be an idea to try a linux live CD/DVD/Flash drive(Live linux distributions run off the cd/dvd/flash drive so they do not have to be installed.). If the mouse works on one of those, chances are some software or diver is causing your issue,