Mouse Driver Won't rollback or uninstall in XP so I can us..

My scroll wheel won't work in several programs I use, written by a major Wall
Street Firm. It works fine in many other aps. It's a new Dell machine, XP
pro, sp2, usb mouse. Their support wants me to roll back from 5.1 driver to
4.1 and say that will do the trick. Unfortunately, XP will not allow a
rollback to an earlier driver. We have even tried to uninstall the mouse an
restart in safe mode. Tech support from GOLDMAN SACHS, who's software it is,
have spent hours on my box trying to install / uninstall drivers. They claim
that it's an issue with Dell's oem version of XP. I have spent 4 hours on
the tech support Dell line and they have told me it's not their problem.
have added multiple mice (optical included) individually and simualtaenously
with no luck- even tried a usb-ps2 connecter and an old mouse.
Anybody want a challange?????
Thanks Everybody

So you are using Intellipoint 5.1? Why not first try Intellipoint 5.2??

"Byrd" <Byrd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My scroll wheel won't work in several programs I use, written by a major
> Wall
> Street Firm. It works fine in many other aps. It's a new Dell machine,
> XP
> pro, sp2, usb mouse. Their support wants me to roll back from 5.1 driver
> 4.1 and say that will do the trick. Unfortunately, XP will not allow a
> rollback to an earlier driver. We have even tried to uninstall the mouse
> an
> restart in safe mode. Tech support from GOLDMAN SACHS, who's software it
> is,
> have spent hours on my box trying to install / uninstall drivers. They
> claim
> that it's an issue with Dell's oem version of XP. I have spent 4 hours on
> the tech support Dell line and they have told me it's not their problem.
> have added multiple mice (optical included) individually and
> simualtaenously
> with no luck- even tried a usb-ps2 connecter and an old mouse.
> Anybody want a challange?????
> Thanks Everybody

tried vb6, tried logitech. Goldman tech says they wouldn's work either- only
4.1 does, but I tried anyway.
Thanks

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> So you are using Intellipoint 5.1? Why not first try Intellipoint 5.2??
>

> "Byrd" <Byrd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My scroll wheel won't work in several programs I use, written by a major
> > Wall
> > Street Firm. It works fine in many other aps. It's a new Dell machine,
> > XP
> > pro, sp2, usb mouse. Their support wants me to roll back from 5.1 driver
> > 4.1 and say that will do the trick. Unfortunately, XP will not allow a
> > rollback to an earlier driver. We have even tried to uninstall the mouse
> > an
> > restart in safe mode. Tech support from GOLDMAN SACHS, who's software it
> > is,
> > have spent hours on my box trying to install / uninstall drivers. They
> > claim
> > that it's an issue with Dell's oem version of XP. I have spent 4 hours on
> > the tech support Dell line and they have told me it's not their problem.
> > have added multiple mice (optical included) individually and
> > simualtaenously
> > with no luck- even tried a usb-ps2 connecter and an old mouse.
> > Anybody want a challange?????
> > Thanks Everybody

VB6 and Logitech are different than Intellipoint mouse drivers.

> tried vb6, tried logitech. Goldman tech says they wouldn's work either-
> only
> 4.1 does, but I tried anyway.
> Thanks
>
> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
>> So you are using Intellipoint 5.1? Why not first try Intellipoint 5.2??
>>

>> "Byrd" <Byrd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My scroll wheel won't work in several programs I use, written by a
>> > major
>> > Wall
>> > Street Firm. It works fine in many other aps. It's a new Dell
>> > machine,
>> > XP
>> > pro, sp2, usb mouse. Their support wants me to roll back from 5.1
>> > driver
>> > 4.1 and say that will do the trick. Unfortunately, XP will not allow a
>> > rollback to an earlier driver. We have even tried to uninstall the
>> > mouse
>> > an
>> > restart in safe mode. Tech support from GOLDMAN SACHS, who's software
>> > it
>> > is,
>> > have spent hours on my box trying to install / uninstall drivers. They
>> > claim
>> > that it's an issue with Dell's oem version of XP. I have spent 4 hours
>> > on
>> > the tech support Dell line and they have told me it's not their
>> > problem.
>> > have added multiple mice (optical included) individually and
>> > simualtaenously
>> > with no luck- even tried a usb-ps2 connecter and an old mouse.
>> > Anybody want a challange?????
>> > Thanks Everybody

Yes- and I have installed them all. The device manager will not let me
change to 5.2 or any other driver. I have even uninstalled the 5.1 driver,
removed the mouse from the device manager, restarted hoping that the new
driver (the only one showing as installed on the machine) would recognize the
mouse and work. Upon reboot, the mouse driver is (XP MAAGICALLY!!) is back
to 5.1
Anyone else have issues like this???
Thanks

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> VB6 and Logitech are different than Intellipoint mouse drivers.
>

> "Byrd" <Byrd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > tried vb6, tried logitech. Goldman tech says they wouldn's work either-
> > only
> > 4.1 does, but I tried anyway.
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
> >
> >> So you are using Intellipoint 5.1? Why not first try Intellipoint 5.2??
> >>

> >> "Byrd" <Byrd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Through Goldman's tech team, I found a fix in some free shareware that seems
to fix the problem:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2060/freewheel.html

If this helps anyone, I am glad for that. Thanks Yves for looking to help,
too...
Byrd

"Byrd" wrote:

> My scroll wheel won't work in several programs I use, written by a major Wall
> Street Firm. It works fine in many other aps. It's a new Dell machine, XP
> pro, sp2, usb mouse. Their support wants me to roll back from 5.1 driver to
> 4.1 and say that will do the trick. Unfortunately, XP will not allow a
> rollback to an earlier driver. We have even tried to uninstall the mouse an
> restart in safe mode. Tech support from GOLDMAN SACHS, who's software it is,
> have spent hours on my box trying to install / uninstall drivers. They claim
> that it's an issue with Dell's oem version of XP. I have spent 4 hours on
> the tech support Dell line and they have told me it's not their problem.
> have added multiple mice (optical included) individually and simualtaenously
> with no luck- even tried a usb-ps2 connecter and an old mouse.
> Anybody want a challange?????
> Thanks Everybody

Uninstall the Intellipoint 5.1 drivers from Add/Remove programs

> Yes- and I have installed them all. The device manager will not let me
> change to 5.2 or any other driver. I have even uninstalled the 5.1
> driver,
> removed the mouse from the device manager, restarted hoping that the new
> driver (the only one showing as installed on the machine) would recognize
> the
> mouse and work. Upon reboot, the mouse driver is (XP MAAGICALLY!!) is
> back
> to 5.1
> Anyone else have issues like this???
> Thanks
>
> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
>> VB6 and Logitech are different than Intellipoint mouse drivers.
>>

>> "Byrd" <Byrd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > tried vb6, tried logitech. Goldman tech says they wouldn's work
>> > either-
>> > only
>> > 4.1 does, but I tried anyway.
>> > Thanks