Mouse freezing/stuttering on new Windows 10 Pro install

Firestar772

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Just reinstalled Windows 10, and I'm getting almost constant mouse freezing/stuttering/hanging. It happens every 10 seconds or so, lasts maybe 2 or 3 seconds, and then it registers all the movements/button presses I made while it was frozen and becomes usable again for another 10-20 seconds.
So far, it's happened regardless of what application is open, unless I'm in a game. When I'm in a game, windowed or fullscreen, it doesn't appear to happen.

The mouse is a brand new Razer Naga Epic, which had no problems for the two days since purchase on the last OS, Windows 7 Ultimate, and has no problems on another win7 ult machine. It is connected directly to a USB3.1 port on the motherboard.

Reinstalled mouse driver software, tried different USB port, tried different mouse, tried original mouse on a different computer to make sure it worked. Reinstalled GeForce graphics drivers.
Also checked GPU/CPU/RAM/Mobo Temps, they're all sub 40c, and CPU/GPU/RAM loads, all sub 20% loads.

Anyone have a suggestion? Have I missed something obvious? This is making the machine kind of unusable...

System Specs
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, clean install.
i7 6850k
2x EVGA GTX 1080 in SLI
1x EVGA gtx 980ti
MSI x99a Gaming Pro Carbon Mobo
16gb GSkill Trident Z RAM
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W Gold
1tb Samsung 850 EVO SSD

schlubadub

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
I realise I'm late to the party, but I've had this issue for the past 12 months with my Razer Mamba 16000 DPI mouse. I assumed the mouse was faulty, and have been smacking it on the desk whenever the issue occurred. I always thought it was dust or a tracking issue so I'd spend ages cleaning the lens, and fiddling with the polling / mouse-pad calibration / lift-off settings... but I eventually noticed that even the mouse buttons were also unresponsive which seemed like the whole mouse was freezing or perhaps the port was.

Anyway, after months of trying different things the solution was actually to disable power management on the USB port.
* Open Device Manager and go to
--> Universal Serial Bus Controllers
--> USB Root Hub (there will likely be multiples)
* Right-click - properties on the first one
* Select Power Management tab
* Clear the checkbox next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

You will likely have more than one USB Root Hub, so go through them all with the same process as above.

Check under "Mice and Other pointing devices" as well as "Human Interface Devices" too...

You might have to reboot, but it worked for me almost immediately.

Hopefully that will solve the issue!