[SOLVED] Mouse input lag after installing new Mobo and new CPU

Aug 15, 2019
Hello I've been having mouse input lag since I installed new mobo and cpu , the motherboard has a 8 pin cpu connector and I'm using a 4 pin at the moment. Do you think this could be the problem ? Do I need to get rid of this junk psu ? I didn't realise it doesn't come with 8 pin first time building a pc so I'm hoping this is the last thing to get everything right because everything is working perfectly except the mouse tracking and mouse lag it just feels off slippery would be the way to describe it . Any help would be appreciated before wasting more money on more parts.
Cpu :RYzen 5 2600
Gpu: Gtx960
Motherboard :gigabyte b450m ds3h
Ram :corsair 8gb
Psu: ace 700w atx power supply
Most likely I'm thinking it's the psu is junk but just want to confirm with pros..

Thank you a lot

Solution
Well I bought a new psu (two actually) for my last build wrongly thinking that the move from 850 to 1300W would solve my problem. But if your cpu won't do 8 pin into the mobo then it is certainly something to consider. The thing is I don't really mind having an extra psu in the closet stuff like that can come in handy. You might be due for a new psu. It won't hurt and it could help. The thing is a mouse only puts out 1/2 watt and draws about 100 milliamps so it's hard to see that the psu will solve your problem. But it might be that because the psu is underpowered it is sending erratic signals to the mouse, and not processing them right when they come back. That is possible. So if you have the funds and want to...

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
You can let your wallet commune with the PSU gods at linustech and see what you come up with. (that's a linky) Myself, I use Seasonic these days. I used psus like yours for years and they ate my store-bought PCs alive. I didn't know anyone still got them. You still got molex??!!

The nice thing about a good psu with a ten or twelve year warranty is that it is likely to journey with you into your next build, which is something of an economy. You can think of it as getting two $75 psus rather than one $150 psu.

If my mobo has 8 pin cpu that's what it gets. I'm not interested in experimenting.

Mouse lag is a bit of a problem since you didn't mention anything about how the mouse talks to the PC and how the PC talks to the monitor. Wifi, bluetooth, direct wire USB, etc.

Mouse lag was a part of my life for years till I got a displayport cable for my monitor. I was resigned to it because the monitor is 25 feet from the PC. Then the displayport went in and mouse lag disappeared. I connect through the monitor. This is unprecedented. My monitor connection was so poor that till just a few weeks ago I had a twenty five foot USB cord going to the PC. It lagged, but it was an improvement. Now with displayport those problems have vanished.

So anyhow I would suggest you run displayport from gpu to monitor and change the batteries on the mouse (if that's what it needs) or alternatively use a wired optical mouse with a nice pad underneath it as a poor surface can interfere with clean operation and cause lags. In fact lack of a good mouse pad might be 100% of the issue, but I assume you have one.

Greg N

Aug 15, 2019
The mouse is USB and monitor 60hz but there was no lag on old build whatsoever now since installed new motherboard with new cpu and thispsu it's happening so I'm thinking it's the 4 pin thing maybe if I get a new psu with an 8 pin it could fix it cause I litreally tried everything else like uninstalling drivers reinstalling windows , would it be worth noting I used windows creation tool for windows installation ? Not sure if it could be that ?

Aug 15, 2019
If you didn’t then reinstall windows fresh when you replace the motherboard then that is your problem
i reinstalled it fresh a couple of times now ? do you not think it could be the power supply isnt good enough for the mobo or cpu ? The mobo requires an 8 pin and I have a 4 pin in at the moment and its working but not as smooth and properas with the last mobo as the last one was old and only required a 4 pin for the cpu.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well I bought a new psu (two actually) for my last build wrongly thinking that the move from 850 to 1300W would solve my problem. But if your cpu won't do 8 pin into the mobo then it is certainly something to consider. The thing is I don't really mind having an extra psu in the closet stuff like that can come in handy. You might be due for a new psu. It won't hurt and it could help. The thing is a mouse only puts out 1/2 watt and draws about 100 milliamps so it's hard to see that the psu will solve your problem. But it might be that because the psu is underpowered it is sending erratic signals to the mouse, and not processing them right when they come back. That is possible. So if you have the funds and want to try what's to lose? Please let us know if it works.

Solution