Question Mouse issues with new build, new mouse

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Hi all. I'm stumped and could use some advise before i go mad. I did a brand new build (not my first). High end, 5800, 3080, all new components and clean OS install. I meticulously went through all drivers from manufacturers, etc. Got it working perfectly. Then i swapped the mouse i had used to set it up to a brand new Logitech master 3 mouse. It worked great. But then i went to swap it out again to the old mouse, and it didn't recognize it at all. So i swapped it back, and that is when the issues stated immediately.
  1. Many times the left button won't even grab (for trying to drag something or put the cursor there).
  2. Sometimes it will work only for a split second. Many attempts to do anything.
  3. When it does work, you can see my cursor halfway across the screen (when dragging an item), item lags behind wherever my cursor is. Catches up if i stop
  4. This is the same no matter what mouse i use. I have 5 different ones, all to same effect. Wired, wireless, etc.

I have uninstalled drivers, reinstalled, no affect. Logitech has no idea. I really dont want to have to do a complete reinstall after all the benchmarking and tweaking that i've done. Even have an image, butt hat will likely be useless. Anyone familiar with this mess?

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Well, i just saw the news today about USB issues with some Ryzen chips and chipsets. Maybe this is the issue. But if it is, doesn't really help as i have a new build that will just be unusable until the fix which isn't likely to come very soon.

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
It maybe a signal interference. Logitech receivers have these problems. Is the receiver pluged close to the USB 3.0? a fully active 3.0 will cause interference. Try plugging it elsewhere, like the front of the case, etc

I had this issue before. I plugged my receiver in a solo location. It felt like nonsense, but it did work. You may want to try that.

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Yep, its not that. I've gone through all that before. It's plugged into an extension, and also for testing directly. But this also happens with a wired mouse as well. So definitely not even anything to do with interference, its in the machine itself.

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
Well now, that is something. Derden has a good lead on this. Could be the Ryzen indeed. Did you do a recent Windows update? I've heard a few complaints about USB drivers.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Here's an idea. I have realized that Logitch supplies with many of their devices a software package that is much more than a simple device driver. It usually includes a lot of provisions for extra fancy features on several of their products, some of which you may not even have. And it IS required to enable all of the extra features on some of their products. So guess what - when you install a new Logitech Mouse, you are encouraged strongly to run their driver installation tool, and it does that. But it installs this complex driver system. I also realized that this tool takes up a larger RAM space than most drivers.

If you later remove the Logitech mouse and replace it with another simpler unit, I am not at all clear whether Windows will understand the distinction and stop using the Logitech utility. This could amount to using the wrong driver for that non-Logitech mouse.

I'm using a Logitech wheel mouse - not a very simple basic mouse, but not a complex one with multiple extra features, either. I realized that what it does is very similar to other wheel mice. So I tried to simplify. I went into Device Managr and deleted the Logitech mouse and other mouse references so it thought there is NO mouse. I backed out of that, then went into Windows System and found the Logitech software tools, and un-Installed them, too, then backed out. I rebooted and the system, of course, said I had no mouse. I rebooted again and, when it was settled, plugged my Logitech mouse back in. I made sure it did NOT search out and load the Logitech Mouse driver system - just use the default wheel mouse driver that Windows has. It's been working perfectly since then.

Reactions: Derden

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
Paperdoc is right. Logitech apps have a few extras you don't really use. It also has auto updates, etc.

Try this, could work.

Uninstall mouse device in device manager. Unplug wired mouse , then reboot. Log in. Open device manager again. Plug wired mouse again for windows to detect the device. Then scan for hardware changes. Windows should detect and install the device.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
AdamOne and I agree. The difference in what I suggest is that I un-installed the Logitch software, and made an effort to have it NOT re-install the driver that Logitech had made available, so that it installed a generic wheel mouse driver that came with Windows.

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
AdamOne and I agree. The difference in what I suggest is that I un-installed the Logitch software, and made an effort to have it NOT re-install the driver that Logitech had made available, so that it installed a generic wheel mouse driver that came with Windows.

Just adding perspective.
For me, the only thing you will miss out when you uninstall the Logitech app, is the pointer acceleration. If you only do 1 screen, it's negligible. That one was useful to me because I run 3 ultrawide screens.

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Here's an idea. I have realized that Logitch supplies with many of their devices a software package that is much more than a simple device driver. It usually includes a lot of provisions for extra fancy features on several of their products, some of which you may not even have. And it IS required to enable all of the extra features on some of their products. So guess what - when you install a new Logitech Mouse, you are encouraged strongly to run their driver installation tool, and it does that. But it installs this complex driver system. I also realized that this tool takes up a larger RAM space than most drivers.

If you later remove the Logitech mouse and replace it with another simpler unit, I am not at all clear whether Windows will understand the distinction and stop using the Logitech utility. This could amount to using the wrong driver for that non-Logitech mouse.

I'm using a Logitech wheel mouse - not a very simple basic mouse, but not a complex one with multiple extra features, either. I realized that what it does is very similar to other wheel mice. So I tried to simplify. I went into Device Managr and deleted the Logitech mouse and other mouse references so it thought there is NO mouse. I backed out of that, then went into Windows System and found the Logitech software tools, and un-Installed them, too, then backed out. I rebooted and the system, of course, said I had no mouse. I rebooted again and, when it was settled, plugged my Logitech mouse back in. I made sure it did NOT search out and load the Logitech Mouse driver system - just use the default wheel mouse driver that Windows has. It's been working perfectly since then.
thank you! I am going to add this to my list of next steps slated in the next day or so. It's killing me. I'm now getting this on my other machine that is a B550 board and 3800x (other machine that i made this post is x570 and 5800x). The only other similarities between these two machines is they both have Nvidia 3000 cards (and drivers (one is 3080 FTW and other is asus 3070 KO). So maybe wonky nvidia drivers, but i dont think so because those havent been updated and did very clean installs of them. Starting to suspect it may be a combination between logitech driv3rs and windows update. Killing me.

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Just adding perspective.
For me, the only thing you will miss out when you uninstall the Logitech app, is the pointer acceleration. If you only do 1 screen, it's negligible. That one was useful to me because I run 3 ultrawide screens.
Well, i will also lose control of modifying the buttons. I am using a G9 with two other monitors so definitely want those options. But these options are only loaded onto the mouse, right? So i could actually configure the mouse on another machine (like old laptop, and not even run the logitech software on the machines where i use the mouse? thoughts? (thanks)