Question Mouse keeps disconnecting for a few seconds and then reconnecting

barnesl123

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
When it disconnects the windows usb device disconnect/reconnect sounds play. Sometimes it happens every 30 seconds and other times it doesn't happen at all.

I'm not sure what is causing this problem, my current mouse is a Logitech G403 however the problems happened on multiple mice so doubt it's that.

It happened on both my old and new motherboard. Any ideas on what it could be?

Specs:
PSU: Corsair CS750M
CPU: Intel i5 6600k
GPU: Radeon R9 390
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270P-D3-CF
Memory: 16GB DDR4

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

The symptoms suggest an electrical short or problem involving the USB ports especially if two motherboards and multiple mice share the problem.

Take a close look at the case area around all of the USB ports. Look for signs of metal to metal contact, damage, corrosion, etc.

There are some immediate things you can do.

Reference link:

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-usb-ports-not-working-in-windows-10-solved/

Otherwise:

Is the mouse plugged directly into the host computer or connected via some external USB hub?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond to the mouse disconnects.

You can also use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (either one but only one at a time) to observe system performance. Hopefully you may be able to note some parameter that changes in correspondence with the mouse disconnects.

Before reinstalling Windows:

Try the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" via the command prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

barnesl123

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

The symptoms suggest an electrical short or problem involving the USB ports especially if two motherboards and multiple mice share the problem.

Take a close look at the case area around all of the USB ports. Look for signs of metal to metal contact, damage, corrosion, etc.

There are some immediate things you can do.

Reference link:

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-usb-ports-not-working-in-windows-10-solved/

Otherwise:

Is the mouse plugged directly into the host computer or connected via some external USB hub?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond to the mouse disconnects.

You can also use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (either one but only one at a time) to observe system performance. Hopefully you may be able to note some parameter that changes in correspondence with the mouse disconnects.

Before reinstalling Windows:

Try the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" via the command prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

I updated my original post to include the specs. I also ran the command you said to and it came up with errors in the CBS.log file.

CBS.log

Ralston18

Titan
Specs noted. Please add PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

So the end results of "sfc /scannow" were:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

CBS.log entries are dated October 17, 2019 - and based on the dates of this thread the scan dates should be November 3rd or 4th ?

Did you run the command as an administrator and did you restart the computer afterwards?

Anyway the log itself is not particularly useful in that what needs to be repaired is not in that file.

What about Reliability History and Event Viewer?

Look at Reliability History first - it is a bit more User friendly. Red and yellow icons.

barnesl123

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
Specs noted. Please add PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

So the end results of "sfc /scannow" were:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

CBS.log entries are dated October 17, 2019 - and based on the dates of this thread the scan dates should be November 3rd or 4th ?

Did you run the command as an administrator and did you restart the computer afterwards?

Anyway the log itself is not particularly useful in that what needs to be repaired is not in that file.

What about Reliability History and Event Viewer?

Look at Reliability History first - it is a bit more User friendly. Red and yellow icons.

I added PSU to the original post, it's about 5 years old I'd guess although I can't really remember. I ran the command as administrator and restarted it afterwards.

As far as reliability history goes I don't see any events that seem to be linked with the disconnecting. There are no warnings and most critical events are unrelated programs stopping working. Although there is a couple of Windows LiveKernelEvent errors with code 141. Not sure if that's related.

For event viewer I'm not entirely sure what are I'm supposed to be looking in.

Ralston18

Titan
Code 141 - hardware.

Event Viewer is cumbersome.

Here is a link from within this Forum that will help you with Event Viewer:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-use-windows-10-event-viewer.2752289/

Just explore Event Viewer until you get a sense of available options/choices and are comfortable navigating around.

Then just keeping looking at what is being shown and most likely you will note some specific issue or pattern.

I consider a 5 year old PSU as a possible culprit. The PSU may be starting to show its' age and waning capabilities.

USB power may be faltering as a result and all the tested mice have problems.

barnesl123

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
Code 141 - hardware.

Event Viewer is cumbersome.

Here is a link from within this Forum that will help you with Event Viewer:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-use-windows-10-event-viewer.2752289/

Just explore Event Viewer until you get a sense of available options/choices and are comfortable navigating around.

Then just keeping looking at what is being shown and most likely you will note some specific issue or pattern.

I consider a 5 year old PSU as a possible culprit. The PSU may be starting to show its' age and waning capabilities.

USB power may be faltering as a result and all the tested mice have problems.

The only thing in event viewer that I can see that could have any relation to my mouse disconnecting is LMS losing connecting to Intel MEI driver. Although the timings don't really seem to line up with my mouse disconnecting. Apart from that there's nothing I can see there.

The event ID is 2001 if that helps.

Ralston18

Titan
LMS = Local Manageablilty Service
Intel MEI = Intel Management Engine Interface.

Event ID = 2001. Any "words or further descriptions associated with that/those entries?

Going back a couple of posts: Have you (as suggested by @Mockingjason) gone to Logitech's website to download, reinstall, and reconfigure the mouse drivers?

barnesl123

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
LMS = Local Manageablilty Service
Intel MEI = Intel Management Engine Interface.

Event ID = 2001. Any "words or further descriptions associated with that/those entries?

Going back a couple of posts: Have you (as suggested by @Mockingjason) gone to Logitech's website to download, reinstall, and reconfigure the mouse drivers?
That's all that was in the event no extra info. Also I have reinstalled the drivers for my mouse.

barnesl123

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
I ran the DISM restorehealth command and now sfc /scannow is finding no problems so it seems to have fixed whatever was wrong with that. I'll see if there's still problems with the mouse disconnecting.

EDIT: This hasn't fixed the disconnecting problem.

Last edited:

barnesl123

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
Gotcha. So you said you have tried multiple mice. Is this on your current build? Did you reinstall Windows for the new motherboard?
You said that you see the disconnect/reconnect notification from Windows. What does the mouse do?

I've tried multiple mice on my current motherboard. I haven't reinstalled windows but I have ran the repair windows option using a disc.

The disconnect sound plays, my mouse stops working then about half a second later it reconnects and works again. The lights go off on the mouse when it disconnects.

TRENDING THREADS