I'm sorry to ask what's been asked before, but I can't find the previous
question now.

I have Windows XP SP2 5.1.2600 on a Dell Inspiron 8600. Recently,
everything works fine for a while after a restart or boot, then the right
mouse button quits functioning and the left button takes on the functions of
the right button (drop-down menu instead of selecting an item in Outlook
mail, for instance).

My wife has the same operating system on a Dell Dimension and has developed
the same problem.

I've experimented with resetting the button functions, then setting them
back, but nothing short of a restart has worked so far.

Thanks

Lionel
Pensacola, FL

Malke

Lionel wrote:

> I'm sorry to ask what's been asked before, but I can't find the
> previous question now.
>
> I have Windows XP SP2 5.1.2600 on a Dell Inspiron 8600. Recently,
> everything works fine for a while after a restart or boot, then the
> right mouse button quits functioning and the left button takes on the
> functions of the right button (drop-down menu instead of selecting an
> item in Outlook mail, for instance).
>
> My wife has the same operating system on a Dell Dimension and has
> developed the same problem.
>
> I've experimented with resetting the button functions, then setting
> them back, but nothing short of a restart has worked so far.

1. What is the virus/malware status of both computers? If you think they
are clean, what did you do to determine this? Be sure:

2. Are you using an external mouse with the laptop? Is it the same
make/model as your wife's? If yes, what mice? Try with plain old PS/2
mice on both computers and see if they are fine.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com