mouse keyboard dead

After starting computer my mouse and keyboard deads.Sometimes only keyboard
works & sometimes even both stops working after some time.
To work have to start many times.
Also sometimes show UPDATING ESCD.... on loading XP

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:15:01 -0700, GAURAV AGARWAL wrote:

> After starting computer my mouse and keyboard deads.Sometimes only keyboard
> works & sometimes even both stops working after some time.
> To work have to start many times.
> Also sometimes show UPDATING ESCD.... on loading XP

"Updating ESCD" is a message from the system's BIOS. It's possible that you
have a loose connection inside the case or an incorrect setting in BIOS. If
the keyboard and mouse are USB, may want to try enabling legacy support in
BIOS (if it's an available setting). This setting is intended to enable USB
input devices before Windows loads. Once Windows loads, its drivers and USB
support should take over.

If other keyboard/mouse settings have been altered, reverse them. If you
are not sure if anything has been changed, you could choose to load
"default values" in BIOS and then test to see if the hardware responds
correctly.

It's also possible that the battery that powers the chip that stores system
settings is failing and needs replacing. At startup the system may be doing
an auto-detect of components and updating that information before
continuing the boot process. Check your system manual for directions on
replacing the battery.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User