Question Mouse & Keyboard Inputs Make Games Stutter

Jaser

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
When attempting to play certain games, any inputs from my mouse or keyboard cause the game to drop to 1 FPS for about 2 seconds. Controller inputs (XInput at least) do not cause this.
This issue has only affected three games so far: Retrowave, KOTOR 2 and HROT. I first noticed the issue when I started up Retrowave for the first time on June 11. I stopped playing very quickly, and started up KOTOR 2 to find I had the same issue. Aside from HROT, which prompted this post, no other games I've started up have had this issue, and I've played a good number of them. I played all of these game through Steam.

Attempted Solutions:
I tried swapping the window modes (Fullscreen, Windowed, Borderless Windowed when available) to no avail.
I tried adjusting the FPS cap and Vsync in these games.
I attempted to use Borderless Gaming from Steam, though that also did not solve the issue.
I tried turning off all my monitors aside from the one I'm using for gaming (144hz, 1440p).
I updated my Graphics Driver (Clean Install).
Edited:
Uninstalled graphics driver, installed driver from a few months ago.
Uninstalled games and moved them to other drives.

At this point, I'm not really sure what else I should try.

Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3060TI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
32 GB RAM
Windows 10

Let me know if there's any additional information I should provide.

Last edited:

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I see that you have tried updating your graphics card, but have you tried rolling it back to a version from before you noticed this issue? - (you'll have to do this manually) - That might be where I would start unless you have anything else pertinent that might have changed.

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
Have you created a Restore Point on your OS?

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Create a restore point, and select it from the list of results.
  2. On the System Protection tab in System Properties, select Create.
  3. Type a description for the restore point, and then select Create > OK.
If you have a restore point from before the stuttering you can resort to it in order to revert back when all was normal.

Last edited:

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
When attempting to play certain games, any inputs from my mouse or keyboard cause the game to drop to 1 FPS for about 2 seconds. Controller inputs (XInput at least) do not cause this.
This issue has only affected three games so far: Retrowave, KOTOR 2 and HROT. I first noticed the issue when I started up Retrowave for the first time on June 11. I stopped playing very quickly, and started up KOTOR 2 to find I had the same issue. Aside from HROT, which prompted this post, no other games I've started up have had this issue, and I've played a good number of them. I played all of these game through Steam.

Attempted Solutions:
I tried swapping the window modes (Fullscreen, Windowed, Borderless Windowed when available) to no avail.
I tried adjusting the FPS cap and Vsync in these games.
I attempted to use Borderless Gaming from Steam, though that also did not solve the issue.
I tried turning off all my monitors aside from the one I'm using for gaming (144hz, 1440p).
I updated my Graphics Driver (Clean Install).
Edited:
Uninstalled graphics driver, installed driver from a few months ago.
Uninstalled games and moved them to other drives.

At this point, I'm not really sure what else I should try.

Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3060TI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
32 GB RAM
Windows 10

Let me know if there's any additional information I should provide.
I have the no wifi version of ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) fTPM that was causing the stutter. If you are not comfortable updating your bios heres a work around for AMD:

Also, what are your Mouse and Keyboard specs?
Mouse:
Keyboard:

Source: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-410
  • Workaround: As an immediate solution, affected customers dependent on fTPM functionality for Trusted Platform Module support may instead use a hardware TPM (“dTPM”) device for trusted computing. Platform dTPM modules utilize onboard non-volatile memory (NVRAM) that supersedes the TPM/SPIROM interaction described in this article.
    1. COMPATIBILITY: Please check with your system or motherboard manufacturer to ensure that your platform supports add-in dTPM modules before attempting or implementing this workaround.
    2. WARNING: If switching an active system from fTPM to dTPM, it is critical that you disable TPM-backed encryption systems (e.g. BitLocker Drive Encryption) and/or back up vital system data prior to switching TPM devices. You must have full administrative access to the system, or explicit support from your IT administrator if the system is managed. For more information on transferring ownership to a new TPM device, please visit this Microsoft webpage.

TRENDING THREADS