Question Mouse lag/delay and audio crackling when second monitor is on

Cenide

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Trying to figure out a weird issue that happened yesterday and is persisting. To preface, this happened from just opening up Nvidia Geforce Experience (not sure how this was the catalyst to the issue). Basically my mouse has a odd lag/delay when regularly using it and is present no matter what. Also the audio from something like a game or video is crackling/popping. Not exactly sure why this is happening, and most solutions I am finding online are not exactly related to my issue. I found that when I turn off my second monitor that the issue is no longer present. Before opening up Geforce experience my computer / displays was completely fine.

Steps that I have taken to try and fix:
  1. Unplug and plug back in mouse, display cables, etc..
  2. Reinstalling windows (10)

Specs:
i9-9900k
16 gb 3200 mhz ram
MSI Z390-A Pro
Nvidia 2080 GPU

I have a feeling this may stem from an issue on my monitor possibly, so that's why I'm posting this thread in the Display board.

Any and all insight is much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to include the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Please include them. As for your platform, have you tried using DDU to remove your current GPU drivers, then manually reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? BIOS version at this moment of time for your motherboard?

Reactions: Cenide

Cenide

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
You forgot to include the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Please include them. As for your platform, have you tried using DDU to remove your current GPU drivers, then manually reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? BIOS version at this moment of time for your motherboard?
Sorry about that, completely forgot and knew I was missing something here. It's a Thermaltake 850W PSU, as of the the age of the PSU would be at 2 years and 10 months.

Regarding a DDU, I haven't heard of that before but from doing a little bit of research on it I found that it basically just get's rid of any drivers for displays, and then I just have to reinstall those drivers. I did re-install windows from a completely fresh copy so I'm assuming this would not change anything if I was to try a DDU out?

The current BIOS version that I have on my MOBO is "American Megatrends Inc. 1.60, 3/20/19" , so basically just the BIOS that the MOBO got shipped with when I built the computer back in 2019. I haven't had this issue since I built this PC back in Dec. 2019. Although I can try installing a new BIOS version if you think that would help also.

I do have another display that I'm going to try out and see if that will work. I will update this thread once I do that and see if this issue is stemming from my display itself.

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Thermaltake is the brand of the unit while 850W is the advertised wattage of said unit. What is the model of the PSU? Where did you source the installer for the OS? If you've mentioned the BIOS version correctly, you have BIOS versions pending update.

Reactions: Cenide

Cenide

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Thermaltake is the brand of the unit while 850W is the advertised wattage of said unit. What is the model of the PSU? Where did you source the installer for the OS? If you've mentioned the BIOS version correctly, you have BIOS versions pending update.
Here is the actual model of the PSU itself:
PS-TPG-0850FPCGUS-R
Here is a link to the exact one on Amazon if there was maybe something else you were looking for as well: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Toughpower-256-Color-Warranty-PS-TPG-0850FPCGUS-R/dp/B01MQU6CWU

Regarding the source of the installer for the OS, I just downloaded a copy of the media creation tool straight from Microsoft's website and put that onto a flash drive and installed the OS from there. Typically what I do on either new machines or just re-installing Windows from a clean slate. And yes my BIOS definitely needs to be updated. I will work on doing that for sure.

Still need to try out my second monitor, will update if that changes anything!

Thank you for the reply!

Cenide

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Update:
Tried out a different monitor and the one I used is working perfectly fine and I have zero issues in regards to the audio popping/cracking as well as the mouse lag/delay issues. Seems like I figured this out on my own end here. Sorry for wasting anyone's time, this can thread can be closed. (Not sure how to close my own thread to be honest).

Thanks!