[SOLVED] Mouse locking ports recently, needs shut down to fix temporarily. Need help urgently

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
So I hope whoever reads this is doing great during these times, but I unfortunately encountered an issue recently out of nowhere. Every 5-10 or so minutes my usb ports will lock up, this happens faster when Im gaming (roughly 2 minutes) and I can switch from front to back ports to get an additional 10 minutes before all usb ports are locked and I can do nothing. Lights etc are all on and from my deduction, the mouse seems to be the issue as where ever I plug it, it will lock the ports. I will also hear the disconnecting and reconnecting noises from windows while I'll be getting messages online and my character in game will still be moving (keyboard also locks up, only registering the last key I pressed). The only temporary fix is rebooting my pc over and over, this has lead me to rebooting my pc nearly 26 times a day !

I have Reinstalled all drivers, done whatever I could with usb hubs and controllers in device manager, power saving etc
I have checked/updated bois
Updated windows
Used a different mouse
Connected my mouse (Logitech G300s) with my laptop and works fine for hours
checked event log and I get the following

MDM ConfigurationManager: Command failure status. Configuraton Source ID: ({C2E67D95-A27A-4CF7-8664-BE60B4D62257}), Enrollment Type: (FamilySafety), CSP Name: (AppLocker), Command Type: (Clear: first phase of Delete), Result: (./Vendor/MSFT/AppLocker/FamilySafety/FamilySafetyGroup).

MDM ConfigurationManager: Caller did not specify user to impersonate to. Targetted user sid: (NULL) Result: (Unknown Win32 Error code: 0x86000022).

and yes, the psu is absolutely fine
I have no idea what else I can do but I do need help urgently with this! thx in advance for any ideas suggested

Pc Specs -
Core I5 4570 3.2 ghz
Gtx 750 ti
8 gb ram
1 Tb hard drive
Dell Optiplex 9020 (casing and mobo not changed)
PSU is the generic one which comes with the pc - 290 watts
Windows 10 - OS

Last edited:
Solution
It could be a power issue where it turns mouse off to allow everything else to keep running, but that normally disables all USB, not a specific device each time. And you would think it would be in all games, not just some.

I don't think its MB as it happens in any slot.

works in safe mode? I can't recall, can't play games in safe mode though.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

The PSU may not be "fine" - a faulty PSU can cause all sorts of varying problems.

Look in Windows 10's Reliability History. Any error codes, etc. being logged at times when the USB ports lock up?

= = = =

As for the MDM ConfigurationManager events - it appears that there are Family Safety restrictions in place.

Forum rules prohibit assistance with bypassing, blocking, or otherwise circumventing such safeguards.

FYI:

https://account.microsoft.com/family/about

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ly-group-b6280c9d-38d7-82ff-0e4f-a6cb7e659344

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

The PSU may not be "fine" - a faulty PSU can cause all sorts of varying problems.

Look in Windows 10's Reliability History. Any error codes, etc. being logged at times when the USB ports lock up?

= = = =

As for the MDM ConfigurationManager events - it appears that there are Family Safety restrictions in place.

Forum rules prohibit assistance with bypassing, blocking, or otherwise circumventing such safeguards.

FYI:

https://account.microsoft.com/family/about

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ly-group-b6280c9d-38d7-82ff-0e4f-a6cb7e659344
updated and some new insight on the mouse thing, apparently reusing old ports will causeit to freeze up quicker, moving the mouse too much will make it freeze quicker
there seem to be no error codes being logged when the issue happens, just an error for windows shut down that I do manually

Ralston18

Titan
Errors being "windows was not properly shutdown...."

PSU: generic 290 watts.

Heavy use for gaming or video editing?

GPU - the minimum system power requirements for the GPU alone is 300 watts.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications/

When you are gaming I believe that peak power demands are more than the PSU is able to provide.

And something falters which most likely involves power to USB devices - the mouse....

However, depending on overall circumstances, power to other devices may be affected as well.

Do you have access to another known working PSU to swap in? Immediate thought is at least 500 watts.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Errors being "windows was not properly shutdown...."

PSU: generic 290 watts.

Heavy use for gaming or video editing?

GPU - the minimum system power requirements for the GPU alone is 300 watts.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications/

When you are gaming I believe that peak power demands are more than the PSU is able to provide.

And something falters which most likely involves power to USB devices - the mouse....

However, depending on overall circumstances, power to other devices may be affected as well.

Do you have access to another known working PSU to swap in? Immediate thought is at least 500 watts.
Windows shut down as in me restarting to get the mouse working - I just played a 1 hour csgo session with no issues, launched up mc and first 5 minutes the mouse dies
The psu is constantly brought up but nothing adds up, I've been using this same rig since like a year now no issue
I do not have access to another psu atm either, but what I did was take out the gpu and use the pc, mouse still dies

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Hi, so recently my Logitech G300s mouse started to reconnect and disconnect randomly (rgb lights flicker), this would also freeze the pc ports (if the mouse was plugged in the back then all the back ports froze etc), and to fix the issue I have to restart the pc
I tried a new mouse and it worked absolutely fine, I don't have another machine atm to test the Logitech mouse either
Whats also weird is the duration of when the mouse starts the disconnect/reconnect issue - it can sometimes instantly start doing so on bootup, sometimes it'll do it 2 hours in use so not alot to tell
any help would be really appreciated! this is a really frustrating issue

Lutfij

Titan
I don't have another machine atm to test the Logitech mouse either
that's what you'd need to do to rule out your mouse being the culprit or that the drivers on your current platform being the issue.

Did you work with Logitech's Gaming app for the mouse?

Speaking of issue, what OS version are you on? You should ideally be on version 20H2. You might want to list the make and model of your motherboard, the BIOS version for said motherboard and the make and model of your PSU, including it's age.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
that's what you'd need to do to rule out your mouse being the culprit or that the drivers on your current platform being the issue.

Speaking of issue, what OS version are you on? You should ideally be on version 20H2. You might want to list the make and model of your motherboard, the BIOS version for said motherboard and the make and model of your PSU, including it's age.
Indeed am on 20H2 - Windows 10
Motherboard is generic dell mobo that comes with Dell Optiplex 9020
https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent.../optiplex-9020-micro-technical-spec-sheet.pdf

as far as testing on another device goes, I will try to as soon as my laptop returns from repair

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018

I also figured out that my other mouse will lock up and freeze the ports too but, it won't keep disconnecting/reconnecting like the logitech mouse, more just sit there and lock the ports

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Need Help Urgently
So after nearly 10 different sites, and multiple threads, this issue has gone unresolved
Recently my mouse (Logitech G300s) will lock up all my pc ports (as in nothing will work in it, be it keyboard or mouse, usbs etc do work though), if its connected in the front ports, after 15 minutes all those ports will get locked up and I'll switch the mouse to my back ports, after 10 minutes it'll freeze those too and I'll need to restart the pc to fix it. It only happens with the mouse, Keyboards can stay plugged in the same usb ports all day with no issue. Also The mouse will flicker its rgb lighting and optical light with driver disconnecting and reconnecting sounds. I have tried everything - New mouse, nope, new windows, nope, new machine, nope. Nothing works, driver updates, nope
Also, the mouse if plugged in the same port as the one before I restart the pc, it has the chance of dying on startup and then me having to leave the pc for 24 hours, to gain 2 hours of playtime and then continue this process
I did post this issue before and no one really helped, frankly its driving me nuts and I seriously need help fast!

Specs :
Pc Specs -
Core I5 4570 3.2 ghz
Gtx 750 ti
8 gb ram
1 Tb hard drive
Dell Optiplex 9020 (casing and mobo not changed)
PSU is the generic one which comes with the pc - 290 watts
Windows 10 - OS
And before anyone says its the psu cause the gpu is taking too much power, I took the gpu out and it still does so

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
So mouse d/c on both the Dell and the laptop?
and its 2 different mice (same model mice?)

it was this that made me think you had used same mb in 2 different pc.
Laptop - happened once during playing Black ops, not after that (yet)
Pc - happens daily, and alot
The mouse that does it most frequently is the G300s, The other mouse I used (GK1100 keyboard + Mouse set) doesn't cause any problems on laptop, but occasionally will crash on pc. Still far more reliable than the G300s
and for the mobo and casing part, my bad - Just wanted to make sure that people knew I changed nothing in the pc besides adding more ram and a gpu

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it use Logitech gaming software or G Hub?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
Im trying the Clean boot thing rn
and yes I use the Ghub
also another thing I noticed was that whenever the G300s specifically is plugged in, the pc can never restart, it gets stuck on a black screen after the restarting logo goes away

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018

not sure what to do rn, Kinda sitting here and waiting for the mouse to die
Usually I'd launch a game to kill it quicker and figure out if a solution worked or not
soo how do judge this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
run in clean boot and if nothing happens, slowly re add programs that you stopped and see if they cause problem.

just use devices as normal. it will happen if it wants to. I have had problem devices before that didn't always play up, annoying as it can take a while to find cause.

also another thing I noticed was that whenever the G300s specifically is plugged in, the pc can never restart, it gets stuck on a black screen after the restarting logo goes away

which mouse caused the problem on the laptop? it could be the G300s is going bad, but it doesn't happen all the time. I had a dying mouse that took me several months to identify as for a long time it was causing gpu to turn off and I was naturally assuming problem was my gpu. mouse eventually showed it was the problem but I reinstalled win 10 in mean time trying to figure it out

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
run in clean boot and if nothing happens, slowly re add programs that you stopped and see if they cause problem.

just use devices as normal. it will happen if it wants to. I have had problem devices before that didn't always play up, annoying as it can take a while to find cause.

which mouse caused the problem on the laptop? it could be the G300s is going bad, but it doesn't happen all the time. I had a dying mouse that took me several months to identify as for a long time it was causing gpu to turn off and I was naturally assuming problem was my gpu. mouse eventually showed it was the problem but I reinstalled win 10 in mean time trying to figure it out
The G300s caused the crash on laptop (however Im unsure as it happened on connect, could have been that it died on disconnecting from pc) and that I haven't got it to crash it yet

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
run in clean boot and see if it happens.
testing to see if its a start up program

its odd that the Logitech site for mouse still lists lgs and not G Hub - https://support.logi.com/hc/en-au/articles/360024693554--Downloads-G300s-Optical-Gaming-Mouse
maybe you should still use the old software

I was looking for a firmware update but I don't see one
so after quite a while The mouse did crash, as far as startup applications go - everything was fine with every single app until I launched some black ops and easily killed the mouse in 12 minutes

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
I would have taken longer time to test each start up app.
I would have run clean boot and game and see if it dies. that would clear all startup programs from blame. right now it still could be one.
Alright I'll start a clean boot up in a bit again and run the game alone
also any time recommendations for other applications?
While I'll be at that Imma test my laptop again with the same game to see results there

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
I would have taken longer time to test each start up app.
I would have run clean boot and game and see if it dies. that would clear all startup programs from blame. right now it still could be one.
also what do you think about the mouse not letting windows restart thing? It seems very weird for a mouse to just make windows unable to restart

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would run a clean boot until you sure it doesn't happen. then add 1 startup program, test it for a day or so, add another. repeat that until you find cause.
You are trying to figure out which program is to blame, no point rushing it.

win 10 by default isn't off when you shut down, its in a hybrid hibernate state. The only time its actually off is during a restart.

With fast startup on, when you start PC it loads a file that has a copy of all previously running drivers + certain system files so instead of restarting all the hardware at launch, its already got the drivers running.

On a restart it actually has to start the drivers up and if the hardware is being difficult it can cause problems like that.

SO while its only waking up on a start up, its got more work to do on a restart.