Question Mouse movement causes high cpu usage

Aug 31, 2020
Hello,
A few days ago i noticed something strange happening while moving my mouse. The CPU usage while doing nothing is at 2-4% and while moving my Logitech G500s mouse the Usage rises to 20%. I looked in Ryzen master and saw that all cores jump from ~800 Mhz to 2,4 Ghz while moving the mouse. I notice the increase in usage the most while moving it on the desktop. Also after unplugging and replugging the mouse or restarting the PC the problem goes away for 1 hour and after that the usage is slowly increasing to a level where I can notice some lag and in games the fps drops down by 25% percent. I hope someone could help me with that.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: MSI GTX 970
Mainboard: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
Mouse: Logitech G500s

Ralston18

Titan
Do you see any system behavior changes via Task Manager and Resource Monitor?

===========

Reinstall the mouse drivers. Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure.

If that does not resolve the problem then:

Update your post to include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Aug 31, 2020
Thank you for answering. In the Resource Monitor I saw that the System interruptions went to 10 percent and also CPU 0 has 100% usage and some other cores go up by 10%. And in the Task Manager Windows explorer usage goes to 10% while moving my mouse over the desktop. In Steam for example it only goes up by nearly 5%. I already tried unistalling LGS and reinstalling it, but that didn't fix the Problem. Also the polling rate from my mouse is at 1000hz and I know this can cause some usage.
PSU Thermaltake 530W it is from 2013 or so.
Windows is on a SanDisk SSD U100 128GB with ~40gb left.
Other drives are 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute and a 1 TB Toshiba drive.

-edit: I just noticed if CPU 0 isn't spiking it is CPU 6 and CPU 7 that change from 10-20% usage to nearly 90%.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020
Do you see any system behavior changes via Task Manager and Resource Monitor?

===========

Reinstall the mouse drivers. Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure.

If that does not resolve the problem then:

Update your post to include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?
While doing nothing: View: https://i.imgur.com/5T2j5tS.png

While moving the mouse: View: https://i.imgur.com/nKcPlL9.png

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Have you cleaned the mouse sensor and bottom of mouse? Sometime a combination of debris close to the sensor will result in lots of inputs that can drive CPU usage up. Also (if that did not help) try to run the mouse without having the Logitech software installed and just run it with Windows generic drivers and see if the problem persist.

Ralston18

Titan
"PSU Thermaltake 530W it is from 2013 or so. "

That would be my first concern. Overall, old for a PSU and all the more so if heavily used for gaming, video editing, bit-mining etc..

And I do agree with @Joakim Agren : experiment a bit more to determine if you can narrow down the possibilities either directly or by elimination.

What Windows 10 version are you using?

Have you tried running the built-in troubleshooters? The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

"sfc /scannow" is another option to try.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Aug 31, 2020
"PSU Thermaltake 530W it is from 2013 or so. "

That would be my first concern. Overall, old for a PSU and all the more so if heavily used for gaming, video editing, bit-mining etc..

And I do agree with @Joakim Agren : experiment a bit more to determine if you can narrow down the possibilities either directly or by elimination.

What Windows 10 version are you using?

Have you tried running the built-in troubleshooters? The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

"sfc /scannow" is another option to try.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161
I just reinstalled Windows 10 and the problem still exists. While moving my mouse over my desktop nearly all cores rise to 2Ghz and one to 3,5 to 4 Ghz. I also tested another much older mouse and the is not even 1 percent until now. And all the cores go only to 800Mhz - 900Mhz. But I can still see that the Wattage from the CPU goes from 30% to 45% and the EDC and TDC Amperage goes up by like 10 to 15%. I will try to get a new mouse as quickly as possible to see if it is the mouse. And if that fails, I will have to buy a new PSU then and test that. Again thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
I just reinstalled Windows 10 and the problem still exists. While moving my mouse over my desktop nearly all cores rise to 2Ghz and one to 3,5 to 4 Ghz. I also tested another much older mouse and the is not even 1 percent until now. And all the cores go only to 800Mhz - 900Mhz. But I can still see that the Wattage from the CPU goes from 30% to 45% and the EDC and TDC Amperage goes up by like 10 to 15%. I will try to get a new mouse as quickly as possible to see if it is the mouse. And if that fails, I will have to buy a new PSU then and test that. Again thank you for your help!

Did you try my suggestion of cleaning the bottom of the mouse and see if that helps? Also clean the mouse matt and see if that can be the cause. It is worth noticing that CPU usage will always go up some when moving the mouse pointer really fast across the screen. I could provoke a CPU usage of 9%-12% on my system when I move the mouse like maniac across the screen! Also did you try to uninstall the Logitech software and just run it under Windows?

Aug 31, 2020
Did you try my suggestion of cleaning the bottom of the mouse and see if that helps? Also clean the mouse matt and see if that can be the cause. It is worth noticing that CPU usage will always go up some when moving the mouse pointer really fast across the screen. I could provoke a CPU usage of 9%-12% on my system when I move the mouse like maniac across the screen! Also did you try to uninstall the Logitech software and just run it under Windows?
Yes, I cleaned the bottom of the mouse and the mouse pad. Also Could you tell me your CPU cores speed while doing that and which cores are boosting. And could you also answer me if in your Task Manager one or multiple CPU cores spike to 60 - 100% ?

TRENDING THREADS