Question Mouse not scrolling a window

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
I always thought that when a mouse hovers over one of several open desktop windows, it knows where it is and the scroll wheel will scroll that window without needing to click first.

Lately this isn't happening. I've tried a wired and a wifi mouse. My system is Win10 1903 preview. I've searched all the windows mouse options and settings but can't see anything relevant and of course mice don't need independent drivers any more so it isn't that. Windows recognises the mouse just fine in all other ways.

Apr 20, 2019
www.instagram.com
I always thought that when a mouse hovers over one of several open desktop windows, it knows where it is and the scroll wheel will scroll that window without needing to click first.

Lately this isn't happening. I've tried a wired and a wifi mouse. My system is Win10 1903 preview. I've searched all the windows mouse options and settings but can't see anything relevant and of course mice don't need independent drivers any more so it isn't that. Windows recognises the mouse just fine in all other ways.
Have you tried restarting your system? Sometimes I experience myself that I can't scroll anymore, usually rebooting fixes it for me.

gardenman

Splendid
I can scroll Windows which do not have focus just by hovering over them and rolling the middle mouse wheel.

First, try this. Go to Settings / Devices / Mouse.
You should see the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" option. If it's Off, turn it On.

If you don't see such an option, it probably depends on the driver you are using. Try updating the driver if possible.

And lastly, there's something named KatMouse mentioned here which may help. I have not tried it so I can't say what it does.

Reactions: MrClassicT

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
I can scroll Windows which do not have focus just by hovering over them and rolling the middle mouse wheel.

First, try this. Go to Settings / Devices / Mouse.
You should see the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" option. If it's Off, turn it On.

If you don't see such an option, it probably depends on the driver you are using. Try updating the driver if possible.

And lastly, there's something named KatMouse mentioned here which may help. I have not tried it so I can't say what it does.

That worked - scroll inactive windows. Many thanks.