Mouse - On-click selection

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm looking either for a mouse or a reg setting that'll allow me on-click
selection. The Windows standard selection is on-release thereby allowing Special
Drag with the Left Mouse Button.

Not many apps. utilise Special Drag - I'm only aware of Win-Explorer.

I'm an Engineering Draughtsperson using Autodesk Inventor solid modelling
software and therefore use my mouse a lot - I only need the keyboard for drawing
annotation. There is no reason for special drag, but the productivity increase,
speed increase and time saving would be huge.

If anybody know of a mouse that has the option of choosing on-click selection
for Win9x, Win2k &/or WinX/P.

Or does anybody know the reg setting ?

All help welcome

TIA
Duncan
--
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving
by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Must be an issue with Autodesk. Windows "Selects" when the button is
depressed. You drag the selected item without releasing the button.

Duncan Anderson wrote:

> I'm looking either for a mouse or a reg setting that'll allow me on-click
> selection. The Windows standard selection is on-release thereby allowing Special
> Drag with the Left Mouse Button.
>
> Not many apps. utilise Special Drag - I'm only aware of Win-Explorer.
>
> I'm an Engineering Draughtsperson using Autodesk Inventor solid modelling
> software and therefore use my mouse a lot - I only need the keyboard for drawing
> annotation. There is no reason for special drag, but the productivity increase,
> speed increase and time saving would be huge.
>
> If anybody know of a mouse that has the option of choosing on-click selection
> for Win9x, Win2k &/or WinX/P.
>
> Or does anybody know the reg setting ?
>
> All help welcome
>
> TIA
> Duncan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Bob,

You're mistaken, try clicking the Reply Group icon (in O.E. newsreader) - for example - it only operates once the mouse button has
been released. This is a Windows Operating System standard. Prior to Win95 AutoCAD used on click selection, but Microsoft set a
standard of on-release selection. I'm primarily talking about making selections from menus, not selections things in browsers or
panes etc.

Duncan

Duncan Anderson wrote:
> Bob,
>
> You're mistaken, try clicking the Reply Group icon (in O.E. newsreader) - for example - it only operates once the mouse button has
> been released. This is a Windows Operating System standard. Prior to Win95 AutoCAD used on click selection, but Microsoft set a
> standard of on-release selection. I'm primarily talking about making selections from menus, not selections things in browsers or
> panes etc.
>
> Duncan

Hi,

I don't get it. I mean, I understand the numerous mouse event commands,
such as mouseOver, mouseDown, mouseOut, and so on. What do you want it
to do when you press the button and then what do you want it to do when
you release the button? Seems like when the mouse event occurs is like
splitting hairs in this case, don't you release the mouse button anyway?
Or do you want to press and hold the button and have it behave as if you
pressed and released it?

I only ask because my optical mouse has 4 buttons that I can program to
do all sorts of things, maybe I can get it to do what you are asking.
Maybe not.

MM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Unfortunate misuse of the word "Select". What you are describing is
Activate, or Operate. And I am not aware of that being an option without
button release.

Duncan Anderson wrote:

> Bob,
>
> You're mistaken, try clicking the Reply Group icon (in O.E. newsreader) - for example - it only operates once the mouse button has
> been released. This is a Windows Operating System standard. Prior to Win95 AutoCAD used on click selection, but Microsoft set a
> standard of on-release selection. I'm primarily talking about making selections from menus, not selections things in browsers or
> panes etc.
>
> Duncan
>

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:41B9AFAB.2090005@yahoo.com...
>
>>Must be an issue with Autodesk. Windows "Selects" when the button is depressed. You drag the selected item without releasing the
>>button.
>>
>>Duncan Anderson wrote:
>>

>>>I'm looking either for a mouse or a reg setting that'll allow me on-click
>>>selection. The Windows standard selection is on-release thereby allowing Special
>>>Drag with the Left Mouse Button.
>>>
>>>Not many apps. utilise Special Drag - I'm only aware of Win-Explorer.
>>>
>>>I'm an Engineering Draughtsperson using Autodesk Inventor solid modelling
>>>software and therefore use my mouse a lot - I only need the keyboard for drawing
>>>annotation. There is no reason for special drag, but the productivity increase,
>>>speed increase and time saving would be huge.
>>>
>>>If anybody know of a mouse that has the option of choosing on-click selection
>>>for Win9x, Win2k &/or WinX/P.
>>>
>>>Or does anybody know the reg setting ?
>>>
>>>All help welcome
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>Duncan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Mostly Me,

The difference is striking. I use a 3D space mouse - motion controller from www.3dconnexion.com - and a normal scroll mouse, but
with the speed turn up to maximum. I need the speed at max because I use a 19" monitor set at 1280x1024, after an eight hour day my
arm would be dropping off my shoulder otherwise.

The problem this causes is that by the time I've released the mouse button the cursor can easily be half way across the screen, I
then need to stop and go back again. Highly un-productive ! ! !

Having discussed this with others http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=372068 and already using Large Icons I was
hoping of a way to improve matters further.

Duncan

Duncan Anderson wrote:
> Mostly Me,
>
> The difference is striking. I use a 3D space mouse - motion controller from www.3dconnexion.com - and a normal scroll mouse, but
> with the speed turn up to maximum. I need the speed at max because I use a 19" monitor set at 1280x1024, after an eight hour day my
> arm would be dropping off my shoulder otherwise.
>
> The problem this causes is that by the time I've released the mouse button the cursor can easily be half way across the screen, I
> then need to stop and go back again. Highly un-productive ! ! !
>
> Having discussed this with others http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=372068 and already using Large Icons I was
> hoping of a way to improve matters further.
>
> Duncan

OK,

I kind of understand what you're saying. That's pretty wild, clicking on
a button, for example, and having the cursor move before you release the
mouse button. Anyway, I see how that would be a pain in the you know
what for you.

Well, it's clear I can't offer you any help, the level of what you're
dealing with is way over my head. If you do find a way to alter how
Windows reponds to mouse events, by all means post it here. I'll
eavesdrop on that thread you posted to satiate my curiosity on the
subject in the meantime.

Good luck.

MM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Duncan - there's a chance you might find a "mouse clicker" application
that can be set to do what you want. Googling for such apps (there are a
number; they're usually labor-of-love custom-written freebies) should
involve using the word clicker. They are, basically, enhanced drivers
for "ordinary," garden-variety mice. Hope this helps.

A comment on nomenclature: as far as I can tell, what you're calling on
click is usually called half-click. But I may not be understanding
exactly what you want to do, or what you mean...

Duncan Anderson wrote:
> I'm looking either for a mouse or a reg setting that'll allow me on-click
> selection. The Windows standard selection is on-release thereby allowing Special
> Drag with the Left Mouse Button.
>
> Not many apps. utilise Special Drag - I'm only aware of Win-Explorer.
>
> I'm an Engineering Draughtsperson using Autodesk Inventor solid modelling
> software and therefore use my mouse a lot - I only need the keyboard for drawing
> annotation. There is no reason for special drag, but the productivity increase,
> speed increase and time saving would be huge.
>
> If anybody know of a mouse that has the option of choosing on-click selection
> for Win9x, Win2k &/or WinX/P.
>
> Or does anybody know the reg setting ?
>
> All help welcome
>
> TIA
> Duncan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

As a partial improvement I would invoke the other hand, memorize keyboard
shortcuts, and remap keyboard.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Jetro,

The other hand uses a 3D space mouse (www.3dconnexion.com) and a numeric pad. I understand that 3D-connexion are developing a new 3D
mouse - for release in March 2005 - that includes a numeric pad and Function keys as well as programmable button, but is less
complicated than the FrogPad.

I am looking at cloning another arm and hand, but that would be for mugs of coffee <vbg>

Thanks anyway.
Duncan
--

"Jetro" <somewhere@internet.space> wrote in message news:O$FXgNG4EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> As a partial improvement I would invoke the other hand, memorize keyboard
> shortcuts, and remap keyboard.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yeah, my AutoCAD clients use two hands, nose, and tongue as well. You can
try to reprogram a cheap wheel with two pedals.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Sounds like AutoCAD and a Steinway Grand have a lot in common. I'll
stick with my kazoo, thanks. :)

Jetro wrote:

> Yeah, my AutoCAD clients use two hands, nose, and tongue as well. You can
> try to reprogram a cheap wheel with two pedals.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll follow it up over the Christmas, New Year break.

cheerz
Duncan
--

"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message news:eVaJ9mw3EHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Duncan - there's a chance you might find a "mouse clicker" application that can be set to do what you want. Googling for such apps
> (there are a number; they're usually labor-of-love custom-written freebies) should involve using the word clicker. They are,
> basically, enhanced drivers for "ordinary," garden-variety mice. Hope this helps.
>
> A comment on nomenclature: as far as I can tell, what you're calling on click is usually called half-click. But I may not be
> understanding exactly what you want to do, or what you mean...
>
> Duncan Anderson wrote:
>> I'm looking either for a mouse or a reg setting that'll allow me on-click
>> selection. The Windows standard selection is on-release thereby allowing Special
>> Drag with the Left Mouse Button.
>>
>> Not many apps. utilise Special Drag - I'm only aware of Win-Explorer.
>>
>> I'm an Engineering Draughtsperson using Autodesk Inventor solid modelling
>> software and therefore use my mouse a lot - I only need the keyboard for drawing
>> annotation. There is no reason for special drag, but the productivity increase,
>> speed increase and time saving would be huge.
>>
>> If anybody know of a mouse that has the option of choosing on-click selection
>> for Win9x, Win2k &/or WinX/P.
>>
>> Or does anybody know the reg setting ?
>>
>> All help welcome
>>
>> TIA
>> Duncan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You're welcome...let us know how you fare. I mean clickerwise, not
feastwise :)

Duncan Anderson wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I'll follow it up over the Christmas, New Year break.
>
> cheerz
> Duncan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Just to let you know how things have proceeded so far. Logitech got back to me, they're going to put the idea to product developers
so that on-click activation/operation is available via their API.

I put this to the Autodesk Inventor N/G and got the following replies
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=374179

--
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs

"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message news:uomUZSR4EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You're welcome...let us know how you fare. I mean clickerwise, not feastwise :)
>
> Duncan Anderson wrote:
>
>> Dan,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> I'll follow it up over the Christmas, New Year break.
>>
>> cheerz
>> Duncan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Duncan - an interesting thread, and thanks for posting back.
Good luck, however it turns out.