Mouse pointer/ cursor distorted

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adeel420

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Hello, I seem to be getting a problem that randomly occurs. My mouse pointer/cursor from time to time becomes distorted, sometimes lines and small dots appear instead of the arrow and sometimes it just becomes distorted and flickers. All the drivers on my system are updated. Ive also tried a different mouse but that doesn't help. Btw im running a dual monitor setup. Im wondering, could this be a driver or video card issue? Below is the configuration of my system :-

Intel Core i7 920
OCZ Platinum 6GB Memory
ASrock X58 motherboard

XFX ATI Radeon 4850
Creative X-fi extreme audio
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

eylee86

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I to am experiencing this problem...even with 10.3 driver on my HD5870. This happens when I play games like heroes of newerth or star craft 2. i set my fan to automatic but I don't know if that's the issue (due to heat?) i get these weird 4 dots appear instead of my cursor and even i quit out of game, the box artifact around the cursor stays...until i restart my computer. has anybody figure out the problem?

Well, ATI has been working on/claiming fixes since 9.12 HF. I have no idea why it hasn't been fully fixed, so I imagine it must be pretty complex. Have the people who are experiencing this tried changing the windows theme after it happens to see if that refreshes the cursor?

To contact the driver crew, go here:

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

Be sure you have tried the newest driver first and did a full (driver sweeper etc.) fresh install of them.

eque

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Had an issue similar to this, with radeon 4850 running on vista. my cursor would sometimes jump and the camera controls in daz/poser just went crazy all of a sudden after i upgraded to a 4850 recently. Finally resolved the issue by going back to the default font size (96 dpi) from large fonts. Don't understand it myself, but i think it's an ATI/Vista/Win7 incompatibility. Try going back on default settings/themes.

Zidane86

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Yea I just installed Sc2 its a brand new comp and I got it after leaving SC2, pretty sure i gotta reboot to fix this. ATI 5870 driver 10.7. When when I log back into SC2 now the game cursor is messed, so its gotta be ATI.

How long do these types of fixes take? Has anyone found a way other than reboot? Shaking mine doesnt help. Using windows 7 64bit.

Zidane86

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Bad news, it seems like this has been going on since 2003: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=719042

I dont know what this means, clearly its been happening a while and either ATI doesnt care or they cant solve the problem. Its probly happening to a small enough number of cards that ati isnt concerned, so maybe its not software but hardware malfunction on some ati cards, throughout the companys history... makes me question whether or not ill buy ati again damn.

mejobloggs

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2005

Once, I opened Firefox and the cursor fixed itself, but it never worked again.

I've tried changing resolution hoping it would redraw the cursor, but no.

So far restarting is the only thing that works for me.

Really wish AMD would fix this, it happens pretty much every time I play Heroes of Newerth. And the Heroes of Newerth developers claim it's nothing to do with their game, but the ATI drivers

I was a bit suspicious of that since HoN was the only game the cursor screwed up in, but now a lot of people are reporting the same thing happens in StarCraft 2, so I guess it is AMD/ATI's problem then

The good news is, if this is happening in StarCraft 2 it's more likely to be fixed, since it's such a high profile game

Status
Not open for further replies.