Mouse pointer/ cursor distorted

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeel420

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Hello, I seem to be getting a problem that randomly occurs. My mouse pointer/cursor from time to time becomes distorted, sometimes lines and small dots appear instead of the arrow and sometimes it just becomes distorted and flickers. All the drivers on my system are updated. Ive also tried a different mouse but that doesn't help. Btw im running a dual monitor setup. Im wondering, could this be a driver or video card issue? Below is the configuration of my system :-

Intel Core i7 920
OCZ Platinum 6GB Memory
ASrock X58 motherboard

XFX ATI Radeon 4850
Creative X-fi extreme audio
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

adeel420

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
thankyou for replying, ill try out that fix. i would say it does this randomly everywhere except for games. when i shake and move the mouse pointer around, distortion goes away

I also have a XFX 4850 (in a computer besides the one in my sig) and the only thing I have noticed on it was periodically the cursor would turn into five cursirs shrunk and stacked on top of each other, but that was in game and very rare. I think I had to change some windows settings/reboot to get it to go away.

adeel420

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
hmmm interesting, are you using windows 7 64 bit too? ive also noticed sometimes as if the mouse is giving me a slight lag, like something is holding it back, there is also some aero lag when you close or open a window, have you experienced it if you have windows 7. many people have said this is a bug in windows 7, could a bad usb port give you lag in the mouse?

The XFX is on Vista 64, but my Asus 4850 and now Sapphire 5850 have both worked fine on Win7. Check your running processes (Task manager) to make sure some program isn't glitching and hogging a bunch of resources. Normally mouse "lag" that I have is caused by processor/HDD Load.

kitchenni

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I recently have installed a XFX Radeon 5770 running on Win 7 64-bit, and I have a similiar problem; however my cursor is not delayed but displays artifacts. It only does this on the secondary monitor though. When I move the cursor to the display that is designated primary it does not display the artifacts.

Could this be the same issue?

EDIT: I have been able to alleviate the issue by disabling and renabling the secondary monitor; however I do not know if the issue will return. It hasn't thus far

YodaEXE

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I'm having the same issue. Win 7 64-bit, Sapphire Radeon 5850. The pointer becomes distorted and strange on the second monitor, but is fine on the primary. About to try a reboot to see if it fixes it.

hobbespdx

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I am experiencing this, too.
Win7 Pro x64

With multiple monitors, sometimes, when the cursor moves between screens, the top (say) 4-5 pixels of the cursor are visible, but reproduced 5-6 times, to what the max. dimensions of the cursor can be.

I have been able to get the cursor to revert to normal, by moving the cursor repeatedly back-and-forth between screens.

I'll post a picture the next time it happens.

hobbespdx

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4650 installed.
Driver 8.632.1.2000 (8/17/2009) -- I'm in a corporate environment, and can only use drivers published via Windows Update.

I also have LogMeIn installed. (FWIW)

pcguys

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Me too: windows 7 64 bit pro, dual monitors, logmein, vmware workstation 7, ati radeon HD 2600 XT

This morning it's been terrible, even happening if I haven't ventured over to my 2nd monitor.

It's been driving me nutz!

Mike

plasmaau

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Same here!

I'm Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit, 2 monitors.

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series.

This has only started happening recently, like the last week or so at most.

The cursor is broken right this moment.

I see the top few pixels of the cursor, and its repeated 8 times or so in a vertical line.

If I move the cursor to the edge of a window, I can see the cursor change to the 'resize' one and its repeated as well.

When I was loading this web page, the cursor went to the 'busy' blue ring icon and I saw that repeated multiple times too.

I think I managed to 'fix' it right now by moving my mouse pointer to the far right of my (right most) monitor, then moved it back.

It will re-occur though later on somewhat randomly.

Of course, its hard to take a screenshot, because Print Screen hides the cursor when you press it heh :(

This is very annoying, and I have no idea what is causing it.

Perhaps a recent Windows update?

pcguys

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Do you vmware workstation?

BTW, I found that if I move the pointer along the task bar at the bottom of my left (host) and right (vm), back and forth really quicky, the cursor will change back.

Yes, very annoying.

I have updated to the latest video driver.

-Mike

Greda

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Yes i have the same problem, most has lines and dots, artifacts.

Happens randomly, but i only have 1 monitor. A restart fixes it, or if ATI drivers crash and gets restarted.

Updated drivers and used the 9.12 hotfix. Does fuk all for this problem

i have win7 64 bit and 5770 ATI card

slickplaid

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I also have this issue. I am using three monitors in the crossfire configuration, just not enabled as crossfire since it doesn't support more than two monitors.

Before it was distorted to three or so lines stacked on eachother but today it's a distorted normal mouse cursor but when I mouseover something that changes the cursor (edge of window, etc) it turns into a black box with some distortion in it. It doesn't seem to be consistent either.

I'm guessing the graphics card handles the rendering of the mouse cursor and this only seems to be occuring on ATI graphics cards.

The only way I have found to fix this issue is to reboot. A log out/on doesn't work. Even enabling and disabling crossfire to try and reset the cards does not work.

I'd really like to see this issue go away.

(CPU1) Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz @ 1569MHz
(Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58A-UD5 mainboard)
(RAM) 12GB, 7.94GB free
(HDDs) 3.71TB, 2.29TB free
(VGAx2) ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (1GB),
2048x1152x32, 60Hz
(OS) Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

slickplaid

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I'll have to test that next time it happens. It seems to happen when a program changes the resolution or sometimes just randomly when you move a program from monitor to monitor by dragging it's title bar to the next monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.