Question Mouse pointer stays behind menus when using new monitor

Jul 11, 2022
Hi,
I’ve been trying to buy a new gaming monitor. My old monitor was around 8/9 years old.(good Del 2410). I first got a Dell 27” but after setting it up, the mouse pointer was behind the menus, not in front/on top, so unable to access the menus and change settings.I tried a number of online solutions/suggestions, to no avail. I sent the monitor back and got an Asus Swift 32” but the same problem appeared. Again I could not resolve this problem. I did not want to be stuck with it, so reluctantly sent it back. It was a superb monitor. I tried 3 different mice with these monitors.
my gear…
Maximus 7 Impact
i7 Intel
Patriot 16gb memory
EVGA 1070
Logitech G903

I seem to remember a comparable problem, years ago. Either with the introduction of Win 7 or Win8 but I have no idea of a solution. Can anyone help out ?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You state being on an i7, which SKU do you have? As for your platform, what OS are you working with? The monitors you've stated above apart from the U2410 are stated generically. Please state the models for both panels used. Have you tried reinstalling your GPU drivers using DDU and the latest GPU driver off of Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Not quite sure what you mean but.. If I understood right, you want to use mouse to control displays settings on it's OSD menu?

that is no-go, not working, nope.
As far as I know, has NEVER worked.

alternative to that has been around and allows you to change same display settings (not through display's OSD Menu)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhE8KJD2CVg

said thing is bit old though and supposedly development has ceased, so.. dunno.
I don't see the need to alter settings all the time so... _I don't really see this as useful thing to have, some might disagree though.

now.. If I understood wrong... disregard above message.

Jul 11, 2022
I have tried…
Dell 27 curved s2721hgf
AsusRog Swift pg329q

I am using Win 10 pro. Since I don’t have a monitor,at all, at the moment. I do not have a lot of info, as it’s all stored on my PC. I think the version is 21 u?
I had uninstalled/re-installed all the drivers and the latest geforce Nvidia driver.
I want to be able to use all the menus from the graphics card + All the other menus from the installed apps which show when I press any button on the rear. There’s really no point in buying a new ,quality monitor, if I cannot use all the feature e.g all the Nvidia features which can be used in sync with my graphics card are pointless if I can’t access them.
The DDC monitor looks promising but it looks like it only accesses brightness and contrast…🆒

PS I don’t want to access ALL the settings, all the time, I just want to be able to set up a new monitor.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Going to need some clear explanation if no photos. You keep referring to "the menus" which can mean a lot of things. Which menus on what component in what context? Because it sounds a lot to me, like above posters, that you're referring to the on-screen display menu that monitors have and there's no way for your mouse to interact with those.

Do you still have your old monitor? If so, can you at least take screenshots of you doing with your old monitor the things you say you cannot with the new ones?

Jul 11, 2022
🆒There are 4/5 buttons on the rear panel of the monitors. Each one bring up a specific menu. E.g. colour, brightness, g-sync etc. The menus popup onscreen but the mouse pointer is BEHIND these menus, not on top. On my previous monitor, an old (but very good) Dell 2410. I. could hitWidows button, bringing up a menu holding around 12 icons for various ,different apps/ files. My mouse/pointer worked above the graphic so I could choose which button I wanted. Click on a particular button and the desired app appeared…Docs. Photos, etc.
I cannot work out why this is not happening on a new monitor.

There are 4/5 buttons on the rear panel of the monitors. Each one bring up a specific menu. E.g. colour, brightness, g-sync etc. The menus popup onscreen but the mouse pointer is BEHIND these menus, not on top.
yes this is normal behaviour on every monitor, on your old monitor if you used those buttons, same effect would apply

On my previous monitor, an old (but very good) Dell 2410. I. could hitWidows button, bringing up a menu holding around 12 icons for various ,different apps/ files. My mouse/pointer worked above the graphic so I could choose which button I wanted. Click on a particular button and the desired app appeared…Docs. Photos, etc.
this is not monitor feature, some windows software was there, was it from dell? dunno, without pictures cant tell

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
🆒There are 4/5 buttons on the rear panel of the monitors. Each one bring up a specific menu. E.g. colour, brightness, g-sync etc. The menus popup onscreen but the mouse pointer is BEHIND these menus, not on top. On my previous monitor, an old (but very good) Dell 2410. I. could hitWidows button, bringing up a menu holding around 12 icons for various ,different apps/ files. My mouse/pointer worked above the graphic so I could choose which button I wanted. Click on a particular button and the desired app appeared…Docs. Photos, etc.

This is the normal way. Windows doesn't typically see the OSD on monitors, nothing's transmitted to the OS. Just to double-check, even though I was certain, I tried on all nine monitors currently running in my house.

Can you show a screenshot of you actually managing the OSD on that monitor on Windows? Because I'm looking at a video of the Dell 2410 monitor and I'm seeing the OSD and, just as with any monitor I can ever remember, the OSD was on top of Windows elements, not integrated into Windows. What you're describing would be extremely unusual and extremely proprietary and if nobody can see this, then it's hard to give you any advice. Either that or you're possibly confusing the OSD with a very different Windows function.

View: https://youtu.be/LGRQNlOgqhs?t=537

Such a feature does not exist. Now, some monitors have Windows apps that when installed allow changing some (or all) monitor settings using said app, like my AOC have such. Not terribly useful though, I have it installed and never really used.

You are talking about two different things, one is the monitor controls, the other is the Windows applications (Docs, Photos). I don't think I have seen or heard of a monitor that has a button to open the Windows Start menu. If you tap the Windows button using the new monitor it will open up the same program list as before, the monitor you have does not affect the Windows setup at all as to what is installed or how it acts. Seems you are simply confusing the functions of the two, the hardware buttons on the monitor that control the monitor options and the Windows menus and programs, the two are fully separate.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran