Mouse problem

Daniel Rydell

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hello,

I recently built a computer for a friend of mine, and he is looking to get it sooner than later. Making some final touches, I walked away for a short time. When I came back, the left click on the mouse had stopped working.

To be honest, I wasn't surprised. I had picked up an older MS optical mouse from a local university surplus store, so I had anticipated it wouldn't work long. However, the problem was still unusual, so I restarted the computer. When Windows 7 came back up, the mouse worked fine again, and continued working through the rest of the day.

Still concerned about the issue with the mouse, I changed it out for a Logitech I recently purchased for my own computer. No problems.

On a hunch, I deactivated the Logitech mouse when I came home from work, then plugged in the MS one, and again it worked fine. Continued working on the PC for quite some time, getting Windows updates installed. Restarted multiple
times, turned the PC off once or twice. Still no problems.

In the process of doing Windows updates, again, I walked away. And again, when I came back, the mouse was having problems; my left click was not functioning. Neither was my right click. I could only move around the screen and use the keyboard to navigate through Windows. I plugged in the Logitech mouse, believing that it would solve my problem, which it did not.

I've tried a number of different things through this process, which I will list.

- While trying to diagnose whether or not it was a broken mouse, I switched orientation through the mouse settings in W7. The only thing that did was make my left click work as my right click, and my right click become useless.
- The build has 15 USB ports. I've tried unplugging the nonfunctioning mouse, and plugging it into another slot to no change.

Now, here in lies the question.

Upon further consideration, I realized that my USB drivers had been installed earlier today, and that (as far as I know) the mouse was working fine before that. Normally, I would believe the USB driver to be the culprit, but I've done this build now three times (Only have changed the size of the hard drive, and the video card in this one), and each and every time I've used the same USB driver with no problem.

Not sure where to jump to now, though I am in the process of trying to update the USB driver to see if despite the fact that I have never had problems with it, if it is in fact my culprit.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

TRENDING THREADS