Question Mouse recommendation with good Scroll Wheel

Feb 7, 2023
Hi guys, how are you?

Folks, I'd like a mouse recommendation please; the main feature I'm looking for in one is that it has a scroll wheel that doesn't give me problems or that it takes years for that to happen.
I'm at the point where I'm tired of buying traditional mouse, with mechanical scrolling, they have this here:

HE2kPLB.webp

What I want is distance from this thing, several brands that I've been testing in recent years, well-known brands, others not, but something is universal among them: from 6 months to 1 year of use, I'll have to open it and clean it, put tape on it, tighten its metal parts, encoder welding, among others work arounds, because the scrolling stops working or is half-assed.
Which is not a problem with the mouse itself, but with the technology, it is mechanical, it has friction, dirt will stick to it, at some point it will malfunction, that's obvious.
So, I really want to get away from that if possible; lately I've been researching, something seemed interesting and there are models now on the market, for a few years now, with optical scroll with different technologies. Logitech was one of the first to patent this from what I found out, but all the big brands already have their version.
I found several reviews, people saying that some models are good, but few reviews touch on the scrolling issue, which is the part I'm look for the most and the ones that mention, are mouse that they tested for a week and did a review of it.
So I'm interested in the test of time, the new technology has been around for a few years, I would like to know if anyone already has some of these mouse (or even with other technologies regarding scrolling), has used them for a long time and solved these problems that the mechanical scrolling ones have, because I really wouldn't want to pay big bucks for on one of those mouse and after 6 months, I'll have the same problem again.
So to sum it up: A mouse with no scroll whell issues, with cable and having two extra side buttons for the thumb, is all I'm asking.

Thank you!

i've been through ~15 different mice through testing & reviewing, purchasing, etc
over the last decade or so.

the 2 best i've found are the Logitech G600 and the Corsair Vengeance M95.
both have exceptional scrolling and the Logitech also offers right/left tilt which is very nice if you happen to game on your computer.

i've used the Logitech G600 as my primary desktop mouse for just about 5 years now and it is still in excellent condition.
considering that i've worked from home these last 2 years and used to game on this system quite a bit before that, it's gotten A LOT of use.

the Corsair Vengeance M95 i've used as a portable option that stays with my laptops for ~10 years years now and it is also still in excellent condition.
dirt will stick to it
where are you using this system that there is loose dirt and/or why are you using it with dirt all over your hands?
is this for an outdoor business use?

tecmo34

Administrator
Feb 7, 2023
Hi everyone! Thank you all for the recommendation, some of those mices I wasn't familiar with. Logitech G600 and Corsair Vengeance M95 look great, but they have way too many buttons on the side, I will mess them up for sure. Corsair M65 was almost my pick, saw some reviews of it that interested me, but ultimately I picked Logitech G502 X. It's a new release, have the optical scroll I'm looking and also has hybrid clicking buttons with optical and mechanical technology mixed. Don't know how they will perform in the long run, but I'm willing to try and it wasn't terrible expensive, $75 on Amazon for a new model with all those things, could be a great find. Thank you all again.
PS: "dirt" might've been a strong word lol. Dust would be better, I do have a terrible case of dust in here and I live in the city, not countryside. Crazy stuff.