Mouse scroll wheel not working! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anty__

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
I have recently made my own PC, with Windows 7 running perfectly. I have a Speedlink Prime Z-DW Gaming Mouse, and before it was working just fine. I blew into all of the holes, installed Intellipoint, and checked all forums. Nothing is working! Please help! Thank you!

Solution
Hard to tell what happened.

Do you know anyone using the same mouse? If so see if you can borrow it and try it on your system. Or try your mouse on their system.

If the problem follows your mouse (sans any driver changes) then your mouse's scroll wheel may be been broken during cleaning.

Was using "air" a sanctioned cleaning process?

Ralston18

Titan
No mouse movement, buttons, or scroll wheel working at all? Have you tried other USB ports?

"Blew into all of the holes" - with your breath or canned air? May have gotten moisture inside the mouse. And/or the air blast damaged internal components. Will conced that losing all functionality would not be expected but if a key component was affected then maybe so.

Double check that you installed and configured the correct drivers and any other related software.

Also try the mouse on another PC to see if the problems follow the mouse. Likewise try a different mouse on your PC. The idea is to narrow down the source of the problem: mouse, pc, software, USB port....

Set the Gaming mouse is the sun somewhere to see if that can drive out any moisture inside. However, there may be some residual corrosion and could be beyond repair.

Anty__

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

I tried everything you mentioned apart from the sun thing, which I will do, :)
It is only the scroll wheel that is not working, and the driver for the intended mouse doesn't seem to recognise it. https://puu.sh/rwn7L/b9edacaba1.png

Anything else that might work?

Ralston18

Titan
Hard to tell what happened.

Do you know anyone using the same mouse? If so see if you can borrow it and try it on your system. Or try your mouse on their system.

If the problem follows your mouse (sans any driver changes) then your mouse's scroll wheel may be been broken during cleaning.

Was using "air" a sanctioned cleaning process?

Solution

tgivaughn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
win8-64 Logitech mouse M705 my all time fav, always worked great for years
today no scroll - read useless "try this" most quite involved, rejected

Went to mouse settings, changed wheel from Zoom to Universal Scroll
Ran Norton updates & quick scan
Ran Spybot updates & system scan
both only reported cookies to delete, so OK fixed that
Still no wheel scroll/zoom
Reboot
Go to weather map, now wheel zooms & scrolls the screens presented

My fix was easy, hope your is also and always post your solution when discovered, it's etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.